Growing an Avocado Plant from a Cutting

Category Trees
Many trees can be propagated from cuttings with the proper knowledge, timing and technique. This guide is about growing an avocado plant from a cutting.

How do you take a cutting from a full grown and fruiting avocado tree?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

By Aurangzeb from Carlsbad, CA

Answers

Well I plant one from seed and about 4year it grew 12 feet tall and produced 100 avocados. the 5th year it produced 250 avocado and they were 6"Lx5"W this were hass avocado. this year 2011 the tree has less fruits and we count about 100 fruits. we had a hard freeze this winter.
By JUAN 8/22/2011

Can you grow an avocado from cuttings?

woodstock1 from Lincoln Park, MI

Answers:

Growing Avocado from Cuttings

I don't know about growing avocados from cuttings, but it is very easy to start one from seed. Put 3 toothpicks in the avocado seed, about halfway from the top. Fill a glass with water and rest the toothpicks on the glass with the bottom of the seed in the water. Check frequently to be sure the bottom of the seed stays in contact with the water. I set mine up in the kitchen window, so I see it often. It will take quite a while, but you will see roots begin to grow out the bottom of the seed, and then a while later the plant will begin to burst forth from the top.

When it has a pretty good root system plant into a pot, place where it will get some sunshine. If in an area where avocados grow you can transplant it outside at the time of year for your area. They make beautiful indoor plants and will become quite large. I have never kept one long enough for it to start bearing fruit, but I am sure it would.
Hope this will be some help to you. (11/01/2007)

By jsham

Growing Avocado from Cuttings

Yes, you can grow from cuttings, however if your cutting was taken from a seedling grown from a pit then it takes much longer (7 to 20 years) to fruit and the fruit will generally be of low quality. You are better to take a cutting from a successful producing tree, or a grafted seedling. (01/22/2008)

By fi

Growing Avocado from Cuttings

I did just that at age 7, and 4 years later I got 100+ avocados. It happened on and off for 7-8 years, then it got root disease and we cut it down. (11/16/2008)

By Alex