Hanging Pictures on Brick

I have a picture 20" X 28 1/2" that I would like to hang over my brick fireplace. How would I go about doing this?

Alan

Best Answer

Our fireplace is stone, Alan. And we had the same concern. The picture we wanted to hang was reasonably heavy (framed). We have a drill, asked at the local hardware store for advice on drill bits and made a hole in the mortar. Therafter, we used a special kind of non-slip bolt (recommended by the fellow at the hardware store). It's working wonderfully well, no slippage, no cementing the bolt in (although we were told to consider it). The next people who own this place will likely want to hang something in that spot, too (so we didn't worry about making an irreparable hole).

Good luck!

Cheers,
Rose Anne

I used big wooden toothpicks that were inserted into chinks in the mortar of a brick chimney to successfully hang a few items

-- not saying this would work for everyone or every item - but it did for me :)