Harvesting Onions

Category Vegetables
Once you have planted and tended the onions in your garden the final step is harvesting at the proper time. This is a guide about harvesting onions.

I get the directions on planting and the germination period and all that, but I was wondering something about the harvesting itself. Once the onion is ready to be harvested, what will it look like to let me know for certain that it is ready? Will the red onion bulb be seated above the ground, or will I have to "dig it out" from underneath the soil like all other bulbs?

I've been finding answers to many questions for the red onions, but they were pretty much all answering the same topics and none were answering "this" one. hehehe Thanks for any ideas that you might have regarding this particular issue!

By Charles

Answers

Charles, when the onion is ready to harvest the top will bend over drying up. Actually they can stay in the ground for quite a while as long as the weather is dry. You can gently pull on the top after loosening the soil with a shovel or garden fork. Yum!