Helping Your Child Succeed in School

Category Education
There are many ways a parent can help their children succeed in school. This is a guide about helping your child succeed in school.

It is back to school for millions of children. I see my grandchildren entering into education. I have to call my daughter to take a picture of my grandson as he enters his first day of school.

By all standards, we are ranking well below the other countries in the teaching department. We are 25 in the world when it comes to math, and I believe we rank even lower in other subjects. That is a sad story. We are failing our kids to give them the best education.

I remember when my daughter started school. I went to the school supply store and almost fainted. My daughter is now 28 years old. The store had it all. Flash cards, erasers, pencils and sharpeners, posters, games; you name it, they had it. They also had very high prices. Being a single mother, I had to come up with some creative ideas to help with my daughter's learning.

There are so many imaginative ways to help your child to succeed in school, with spending a lot of money. Next post, I will have some web sites to visit, where you can print worksheets for free.

By Georgetta Ruth from Waterloo, IA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Soon we will all be going to open house at our children's schools and this would be a good time to check out the recess things your children have access to. When we were in school, the school would provide each class room with balls and jump ropes and things to be used at recess. Nowadays most schools are lucky if they have enough stuff for a gym class. Making jump ropes at home and buying a few balls at the dollar store or Walmart could be just the boost your child's class room needs.

PVC pipe cut into sections can be used for games such as "hide the bone" or relay sticks for relay races. Our school has a newsletter that goes out once a month with a "Wish List" of items that our school could use. You might want to help establish a newsletter for your school or a "Wish List" in your newsletter. You will be surprised at how many parents will respond.

By Debra in Colorado