Helping a Family with a Newborn

Category Community
There are a number of ways you can assist and show new parents that you care. This is a guide about helping a family with a newborn.

The best thing anyone did for me when I gave birth to my three boys via c- section, was to cook a meal for me. Because of my busy schedule with the boys, I discovered that I could double or triple our family favorite and freeze it. Then when a friend or church member has a baby, I take it out, heat it up, and deliver dinner!

My favorite recipe to use is our taco soup recipe, it freezes great and actually tastes better because the flavors have had time to meld together. Many a friend or church member has called to get the recipe, and the new mother doesn't have to worry about feeding her family for a night. If you have extra, bring a prefrozen one too, Voila! - two dinners! I also use this quick visit to deliver my hand made crocheted item. :)

By Mistie from Baton Rouge

Editor's Note: Here is a link to Mistie's Taco Soup recipe.

My sweet granddaughter is such a good baby, but bless their hearts, the parents haven't had a full nights sleep since she came home. Since I work a 5-11 PM shift I try to give the new mom a couple of hours a day to do things she needs or just wants to do. I'm getting time myself to bond with her and spend time with my grandson.

Yesterday, looking sort of droopyeyed she asked if there was ONE night I'd come and stay and give them a break with feeding. This is something we kind of take for granted, that they'll adjust and I hadn't really thought of offering help. There's nothing like the feeling or holding that precious little gift from heaven and knowing you can be a part of caring for it. This morning I'm the one who's droopyeyed but happy. Grandparents remember the days when you'd have given anything for a helping hand.

Sharon, KY