- 4 chicken breasts or boneless legs and thighs with the fat removed (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I use low fat cheese or any cheese you have, don't use no fat)
- 3 egg whites (I have use 2 whole eggs)
- 1 tsp. onion flakes or 2-3 tablespoons finely diced onion
- 1 Tbsp. parsley
- 1/2 cup cream (I use canned milk)
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tomato, finely chopped (optional, some people don't like it, it makes pinkish chicken patties)
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning (optional, it makes it taste more like store brands)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Put chicken into food processor and chop until fine (I have used a old hand meat grinder with its finest cutter). Add rest of ingredients and mix until all blended. Form into patties. Can be frozen at this point, once frozen wrap in foil, thaw before cooking.
Dip into bread crumbs (I like to use crushed croutons, they brown better). Fry in a little hot oil on both sides until brown drain on paper towel. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-30 minutes (depends on thickness).
If you don't want to fry them, add a little real grated hard cheese to the bread crumbs (it seems to help it brown, if using cheesy croutons, skip grated cheese) bush with egg wash before breading and bake for 20-40 minutes. Turn when brown on one side.
By Scott E. from Chicago