Homemade Children's Toy Boxes

Category Toys
Convenient storage for your child's toys can be made at home with wood, cardboard or plastic bins. This is a guide about homemade children's toy boxes.

The cost of children's toy boxes are so expensive and they are so small for all the money you spend. Here's a way to make some big toy boxes for a lot less:

Buy an extra large Rubbermaid storage container ($13 for 50 gallon container at Wal Mart), enough fabric to cover the container (I got the end of a bolt for $15 enough for 2 toy boxes), and some spray adhesive that will stick to plastic (around $5 a can).

Cut the fabric to fit. Spray the container and place fabric over it and smooth it out. In less than an hour you'll have a beautiful toy box that's safe (cover won't fall on little fingers) and so much cheaper and bigger than the expensive toy boxes that you find at stores.

By HDBoston

By Fran (Guest Post)

I think that is a great idea, and I think I will make one for my craft box. I will also cut a large piece of fabric for the lid and just glue the lid in the center of the fabric and let the fabric hang down on the sides.........Thanks a lot for the great idea.

Hi Fran,

I did spray the top of the lid and fit the fabric, the cover still snaps shut. The best part is that the lids are not even a safety hazard like some of the toy boxes. I have to push the ends for them to close tight.

She can't fall in it because they're packed, and if she did, I have the peace of mind in knowing that she wouldn't be stuck in it and nothing will slam on her fingers. I'm going to have to make another one soon! I hope to post a picture of one of them soon.

By Becky (Guest Post)

Wow! What a great idea! I have bought so many pop up toy boxes and stuff like that for my daughter's toy's, and I just can't seem to find one that is the right size! You have given me a great idea, and I love crafts, so I am excited about having a new project to get into, thanks so much!

Great idea! I was even thinking of doing this with a large sturdy cardboard box or even a bought storage box. The ones they sell for file storage etc. even come with a lid and are fairly sturdy just for storage. I think they'd be cute covered in fabric, and I wanted to use them for storage of sewing supplies, fabric, hobby supplies, throws, etc...

I also get the scoopable kitty litter in a large box and figured with some packing tape I could make the lid more secure and cover the box and lid with fabric; would make a pretty box for sewing storage; just have to be sure to use a fabric that covers the print on the box without it showing through.