Homemade Cookie Butter

Homemade Cookie Butter
This is a guide about homemade cookie butter. A sweet spread that is easy to make at home for a fraction of the retail cost.

Cookie butter is one of my favourite indulgences. If you haven't had it before, it's similar to peanut butter, only it's made out of cookies. I stopped buying it from the shops when I realized I could make it for 1/6th of the price by myself with ingredients I already have at home. Plus, its faster to make than it takes me to get to the store that carries it! I happen to have an excess of ginger oat cookies from the holidays. You can use any dry cookie or graham cracker. Just add a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg if you'd like the popular leading brand cookie butter taste.

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 15 servings

• 4 oz cookies (I used ginger oatmeal)
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup oil (vegetable, canola, or coconut)

1. Break up the cookies and add to food processor along with powdered and brown sugars. Pulse until finely ground. Pour into a bowl.
  2. Working in little batches, return the ground cookie and sugar mixture to the food processor and pulse again to turn into fine powder (I did it four times).
  3. Ad

4. With the food processor running, slowly add the oil, stopping and scraping down the sides and mixing. It will take a minute or two to get to a nice creamy consistency.
  5. Serve with toast, bagels, waffles, pancakes, or drizzle on ice cream. It's very versatile!
  6. Ad

I like to jar it up and give it as gifts. If sealed nicely, it will keep well at room temperature for a few weeks.

Never heard of this but can't wait to try it out! The fact that different cookies give different flavors should make it interesting. May even try fruit flavored cookies and salty crackers. And may substitute some of the oil with cream cheese or fruit jam. Should be fun.

Those sounds good, too! The only thing that didn't work for me was cream-filled, obviously. I have tried substituting some milks and creams for some of the oil and it worked great--- Just had to refrigerate them. :)

yummy