Homemade Kool-Aid Playdough

You can use Kool-Aid to add color to your homemade playdough. Most of these recipes require a short cooking time. This page contains recipes and ideas for homemade Kool-Aid playdough.

Tons of fun for kids!

Directions:

Combine flour, salt, Kool-Aid and oil. Mix until water is ready, then add water (be very careful). Have an adult pour the boiling water and stir with a spoon until cool enough for a child to touch and mix thoroughly with hands. Let the child have the time of his/her life. They will love the smell.

Note: This is not edible even though it smells great! :)

By Robin from Washington, IA

Kool Aid Play Dough

• 1 cup flour
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 package unsweetned Koolaid
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 2 Tbsp. cream of tartar
  • 1 cup water
Directions:

Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar and Koolaid in a medium pan. Add water and oil. Stir over medium heat 3-5 minutes. When mixture forms a ball in pan, remove. Knead until smooth.

Let cool and place in airtight containers or baggies.

By imaqt1962

Koolaid Playdough II

• 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1 pack koolaid (any color you like)
  • 3 Tbsp oil
  • 1 cup boiling water

Directions:

Mix first three ingredients in a large bowl. Add the last 2. Stir until well blended. Remove from bowl and knead into soft dough. Store in air-tight containers.

By Suzanne S.

I have a recipe for play dough that I have made for years. I tried a Kool-Aid recipe (may not have been this exact recipe) and it was way too sticky, and ended up throwing it out. Here is the recipe that I find most successful for my grandchildren:

Play Dough (Non-Koolaid)

• 1/2 cup salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • Food coloring of choice

Directions

Mix salt, flour and cream of tartar. Add water, oil and food coloring. Cook till the mixture is thick and the right consistency. I store in Ziploc bags.

Hint: Let the children get in on the act by measuring, etc. They enjoy it.

Linda from PA

By Mfuncare (Guest Post)
Top Comment

I got this recipe from The Ultimate Book of Kid Concoctions, by John E. Thomas and Danita Pagel.

Fruity Play Dough
21/4 cups flour
1 cup salt
2 Tbs unsweetened powder drink mix
4 Tbs cooking oil
1 cup water

Combine flour, salt, and powdered drink mix in a large bowl. Stir in cooking oil and water. Continue stirring until mixture is the consistency of bread dough. Remove dough from bowl and knead on a floured surface 2-3 minutes until firm. Store leftover dough in aritight container or plastic zip bag.

Its easy and smells wonderful. Have fun.

I am looking for a playdough recipe that I used to make for children and must make for my grandson! I have seen several different types of recipes but the one I am thinking of you do not have to cook, but I remember I had to add dish soap!

Answers

Best Answer

am looking for recipe to make playdough using koolaid.
Thanks,
Lu Ann from Iowa

Editor's Note: Here are some recipes we published in the past.

Kool Aid Play Dough

1 cup flour
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 package unsweetned Koolaid

1/4 cup salt
2 Tbsp. cream of tartar
1 cup water
Directions:

Let cool and place in airtight containers or baggies

By imaqt1962

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Koolaid Playdough II

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 pack koolaid (any color you like)
3 Tbsp oil
1 cup boiling water
Directions:

By Suzanne S. I have a recipe for play dough that I have made for years. I tried a Kool-Aid recipe (may not have been this exact recipe) and it was way too sticky, and ended up throwing it out. Here is the recipe that I find most successful for my grandchildren:

Play Dough (Non-Koolaid)

1/2 cup salt
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Food coloring of choice
Directions

Linda from PA

This is a cheap way to make playdough that won't harm your child if eaten.

Ingredients

• 1 cup flour, sifted
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 3 Tbsp. cooking oil
  • 1 package of Kool-aid (the small packets with no sugar added)

Directions

Combine the flour, salt, oil and Kool-Aid in a bowl. Then bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add it to the bowl and mix well. Knead the mixture until your playdough has a nice consistency and let the kids have at it! You can make different colored playdough by using different flavors of Kool-Aid. Store in the refrigerator between uses.

Answers:

Homemade Kool-Aid Playdough

This recipe is so awesome! I printed it out and headed for the kitchen, telling my children that I was going to make play dough out of kool - aid, and they all thought I was crazy. But, they REALLY enjoyed watching it happen, and they're still playing with it, too!
Thank you for sharing this! (08/06/2004)

By Melissa

Homemade Kool-Aid Playdough

My husband is in the military and brought home a box of medical grade gloves. Me and my son put them on and went to town, so to speak. We had more fun making the dough than playing with it after. But it's very important that it be sealed against air when finished with playing or it gets rock hard. (08/26/2004)

By Suzanne Spencer

Homemade Kool-Aid Playdough

It was so cool! As soon as I got the recipe i tried it out. It seems as if me and my husband eat it more than our grandchildren do.
(10/06/2005)

By Abigail Georgette Moore

Homemade Kool-Aid Playdough

I use this recipe with a group of kids at a homeschool coop and the LOVE IT! I have not had any experience as far as staining the hands or clothes. Although, the kids do wear worn out T-shirts over the clothes. Hope this helps! (01/10/2006)

By Cristina

Homemade Kool-Aid Playdough

I have used this many years w/children:) They love it! and no it doesn't stain the clothes in the experiences I have had. Children love making it and love the kneading together the best - but remember to let the water cool somewhat before they knead:) (03/13/2006)

By Jan.

Homemade Kool-Aid Playdough

My play dough that i made was very very sticky after a hour. How do you make it? I need help, it doesn't work.

By wennedy

Homemade Kool-Aid Playdough

Hey this stuff worked so well, me and my friend Shae used it and it didn't stain clothes or hands. Well, I'm really happy with this recipe!

By Theresa