AdviceCrafts

Homemade "Memories" Gift for Sons Grieving Loss of Father

My husband died nearly three years ago after a long battle with cancer. My boys were 6 and 9. Now I would like to make each of them a gift that would always remind them of their dad. I would appreciate some ideas (I always get too sad thinking about ideas myself.)

Thanks.

By Lisa

We just did something like this for my 3 grandbabies. My husband passed away 2 years ago and they were very close to their Papa. So we put a collage of pictures together for each one of them of Papa and each one of them doing something together. When Pete died the kids were 9, 6, and 2 and thought that he walked on water. Now they each have their own pictures framed and hanging on their bedroom walls. Pictures are something that you can always keep with you, they are personal, and always bring back good memories when you look at them. I hope this gives you an idea of something to do for your boys, and I am so sorry for your loss. God Bless and keep you.

I once saw an artilce where a woman made a quilt from the fabric of her late husbands shirts. If a quilt is too much for you to make, try making each of the boys a small pillow cover from one of their dads shirts. Jeannette

Three years is like yesterday when a loved one has been lost. I hope you and your sons are finding comfort in wonderful memories of when you were all together.

You've been given some great ideas in the previous posts, but if you observe Christmas, another thing you might do is make your sons Christmas stockings using their father's dress shirts and ties.

Include a photo of Dad wearing the shirt and tie if possible, and save some of the materials to make Christmas stockings for the day you are a gran.

By all means make remembrances for those kiddos! Make teddy bears from dad's sport coats, favorite team jackets, etc.and stuff them with his t-shirts cut into stuffing strips (there is even a chance that the aftershave "perfume" will still be there.

Make a baby's "coming home from the hospital" or christening gown from Dad's dress shirts for each of the kids to have for their kids - it will be from Granddad. If Dad was a wood worker or hobbyist, be sure to have something that he made set aside just for each one, to have always.

Someday they may be lucky enough to get another father figure, and doubly lucky to have another (second) dad, but it is so very important to have some sort of keepsake from Daddy.
God bless you.

Just a thought, perhaps make a pillow for each boy out of their dad's favorite tee-shirt or shirt if you still have them around. Or a small quilt with the same idea using favorite shirts he use to wear? Another idea would be a collage of pictures of the boys and dad?