Homemade Onion Soup
Piping hot, cheese topped, onion soup can be a meal in itself. It is perfect for a chilly evening. This page offers a recipe for homemade onion soup.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
With the cold and flu season starting I just made my first batch of homemade onion soup for the family!
It's pretty easy and supposed to be good to soothe the throat and open sinuses!
We love it!
Total Time: one hour
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 -3 onions
- 2 Tbsp butter (or ghee)
- 4 beef bouillon cubes* (or 2 beef, 2 chicken)
- 1/4 cup sherry or Marsala wine
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 2 cups water
- shredded cheese (Swiss, Gruyere or mozzarella)
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
*Add water to reconstitute the bouillon cubes or use 4 cups broth.
- Chop up onions into bite sized pieces.
- 'Sweat' the onions in pot of butter or ghee on low for about 7 minutes until soft and lightly browning.
- Add the bouillon or broth, water, thyme, bay leaf, vinegar, wine and water to pot and simmer on low for about an hour.
- I sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of bread that I float on top of each bowl of soup. I pop the bowls in the broiler for a few minutes just to melt the cheese. You could probably put it in the microwave if preferred.
That's it! Simple but delish.
November 23, 20140 found this helpful
WOW! Thank you so much, Donna. I have been searching in vain for a simple and delicious version of a homemade onion soup and kept coming up with all those fancy recipes.
This is perfect for my needs! Thank you so much!