Homemade Oxi-Clean

contest winner icon

If you are anything like me, you spend too much on laundry products each month. I especially would splurge on stain treatments that were overpriced, as I found their generic counterparts to often be ineffective or too diluted to cause any real savings on our monthly budget.

In comes homemade Oxi-clean:

Materials

• a container with a lid
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
  • 1/2 cup baking soda

Keep a jar of this next to your laundry machine and let soak in the stains for 15 minutes to overnight.

I have not had any problems with color bleeding, but as always test a small spot on clothes you may be unsure of, as to not have any surprises.

By Teri M from Omaha, NE

Top Comment

You should either mix this up each time you're going to use it, or keep it in an opaque container. The reason hydrogen peroxide *always* comes in a dark brown opaque bottle is that exposure to light changes it chemically so it stops working.

Awesome! Thanks.

Can you reuse the contents of the container until it's empty on several garments with stains?

Is it O.K. to use this with a front load washer?

It shouldn't be a problem, because you are putting it directly on the stains, and not pouring it into the washer.

Can this be used on colored clothes?

I've used the commercial kind on colored clothes without problem. Test it in a seam allowance, though, because some fabrics that SHOULD be colorfast sometimes aren't!

Do you know if it would work on carpet stains?

Anonymous

is it to be used as a detergent or like Shout???

It's a stain remover; you'll still need your detergent. I've found that this works when Shout, etc., won't.

Anonymous

Thank you!! Love saving $$$

Has anyone had trouble with this separating?

Any mixtures using hydrogen peroxide are best mixed in an OLD HP container, since they're dark & opaque & will keep the HP active [if exposed to light, it loses its potency fairly quickly]. Keeping an empty 16oz brown HP plastic bottle around for this should work well.

My homemade oxi-clean solution is 1 part original Dawn dish detergent to two parts hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. So far, its taken out EVERY stain we've made in our clothes, carpet and drapes (we're pigs apparently)...sometimes you may have to scrub with a brush.

great idea

I am with you on the budget and savings. I went broke all of two years to catch up on bills. Now I am playing a game and shopping amazon for free. I am not stressed over some of the budget anymore. These items are free as well as oxy clean.

So I just order them after winning. Now I need to redo the pantry because I am stocking to high hell while I can. Free shipping too.

I use the supplies to make my soap so it's all about the savings. I hope you have enough to last a while. It's a great idea as well. I love frugal anything.

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Laundry RecipesDecember 7, 2011
🎂
📓
🌻