Homemade Rice Milk
April 14, 2019
Very simple and inexpensive to make! It is a good non-dairy base for homemade cocoa.
Prep Time: about 20 minutes to cook the rice ahead of time
Total Time: 15 minutes with pre-cooked rice
Yield: about 3 cups
Source: inspiration from Lauren's recipe at Oatmeal With A Fork
Link: Thick Vanilla Brown Rice Milk (Sugar Free)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (long grain)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp liquid sweetener (e.g. honey, agave)
- Blend the cooked rice and water until very fine particulates settle at the bottom. Let the mixture sit 10 minutes and then blend again briefly.
- Strain the milk through a cheesecloth (you can also gently squeeze it over a bowl).
- Whisk in the vanilla and sweetener.
- Pour into a bottle/jar with lid and refrigerate. I used a bottle that was once for Plantation brand blackstrap molasses-perfect size! Settling is normal. Just shake it up when you are ready. Serve plain rice milk chilled or warmed in hot cereal or cocoa.
- Do you have any ideas for the leftover pulp? I found that it had a consistency akin to play-dough. It is cooked, and so it would be fine for kids to play with for a couple hours...but maybe messy. :) Others on various sites have commented that it could possibly be used in a face mask. What do you think?
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.