Homemade Stain Remover Recipes

Making your own stain removers is easy to do at home. This page contains homemade laundry stain remover recipes.

Use 2/3 cups of dish soap, 2/3 cups of ammonia, 6 tablespoons of baking soda, and 2 cups of warm water. Mix everything into a spray bottle and shake well. It works really well, it even got a chocolate stain off my child's shirt. Spray the stain and let it sit awhile then launder as normal. Always shake well before using.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

I found this a few years ago and have been using it ever since. It works great and is inexpensive: Fill a water bottle with warm water and add about a quarter cup of inexpensive shampoo. Mix and keep in laundry room to pretreat stains before washing.

By T-scriber from WA

To make a pre-wash stain remover, mix 1/3 part non-sudsing ammonia, 1/3 part dish soap and 1/3 part water. Pour into clearly labeled spray bottle. Apply to stains and allow to sit only 5 minutes, then wash ASAP.

Source: Heloise

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Use spinach water for removing sweat stains and ring around the collar. Try blanching fresh spinach. Reserve the water for stain removal.

It doesn't matter if the water is hot or cool. The green water has some type of iron element in which works on the stains. I guess it is the same iron oxide used in antiperspirants.

Swab it on with a toothbrush. It sometimes take out the stains that nothing else would. It is safe for almost any kind of fabric.

By Tim from Science Hill, Ky

Make a spray for the stubborn stains that your kids or your better half like to leave on their clothes.

There are quite a few home remedies for some nasty stains we all seem to get on our clothing. For ketchup, use vinegar and scrub with a toothbrush.

Add some dish soap and scrub some more, then wash as usual. For a grease stain use salt.

Make a paste with water, white vinegar, and sugar to pre-treat spots on clothing before washing. Rub on stain leave alone for about 10-20 minutes, rinse, then wash in cold water. Do not put it in the dryer until you check and make sure the stain is gone! If it is still there repeat.

I bought a hand cleaner found at Walmart in the automotive section called Goop. I decided to try it on a stain one day, on my child's clothes, and it worked.

Put these ingredients into a clean spray bottle and shake to mix. Be sure to clearly label the bottle, to use this pre-wash just spray on the stained area of clothing and wash immediately.

Mix well and pour in a spray bottle for all kinds of laundry stains.

This works great! Make a paste of soda and a little water and apply to stains on clothing. Let sit for a while and launder as usual.

Not good for all stains, but apply while the stain is fresh and it disappears like magic!

I am looking for a recipe to spot-clean my cotton t-shirts, white blouses, cotton pants, as well as my school-teacher garments. I am spending too much money on spot-removal products at the supermarket. Does anyone have a cleaning solution for me? Thank you in advance!

By "Sweet Pea" from Nevada City, CA

Answers

Some one on this site recommmended Dawn dishwashing liquid and I've been using it with great success.

But there are a lot of other remedies on this site too.

Good luck!

You cannot beat original Dawn dish detergent, better than any degreaser I've ever tried.

My mother and grandmother have used this trick for many years. This is for fruit stains. Lay the stained garment over a colander in the sink. Pour boiling water over it until the stain is gone.

I am looking for a natural laundry stain remover, that I can made at home. I would like something that is chemical free.

By Allie

Answers

I keep a simple bottle of dish liquid such as dawn or palmolive etc. and squirt the stains before I put them in the laundry hamper if possible. If not I use it before they are washed. This has worked wonders for me and you can buy it at dollar stores.

A bottle will last a year or better depending on how messy things are at your home. I have also taken an empty dish liquid detergent bottle and filled it with inexpensive laundry soap and soaked with that.

How do I remove red color from another garment on my expensive white lingerie.

m_786_in

Answers

By shirley (Guest Post)

soak the lingerie in Rit Dye Remover.

What fabric is the lingerie? Would you be able to bleach it? Or use a bleach dillusion? Have you tried the usual suspects? Oxiclean, Borax, etc?

Often I have very good luck at removing transferred color stains just by rewashing the garment (in warm water?) with a liquid laundry detergent containing "bleaching action". (Ex: Detergent XYZ with BLEACH.) Not liquid bleach that you add separately. But, that would be my next try depending on the fabric.

By Shannon (Guest Post)

I am doing research on stain removal and I found a website that suggests boiling water on the stove in a large pot, adding 3/4 - 1 cup of biz, and adding your stained clothes. Let simmer about 45 minutes. Apparently there are people writing and saying it has removed ink stains, and even nail polish. You could try it.

By Tammy (Guest Post)

I have the same problem but it is with jeans. The red garment stained the jeans (they are light jeans)! How can I get this out?

Does anyone have a recipe for a laundry pretreatment that does not have ammonia in it?

By Deborah Mershimer from Midlothian, TX

Answers

Buy a bar of genuine soap, either Fels, Zote, or Octagon. Dampen the stain with water and rub the bar of soap on the stained area. Launder.

While you asked for recipe without ammonia.

Unless you are allergic to ammonia, you may want
to try the following recipe, it works quite well for me.
Ammonia cuts grease!

This was in "Cheaper & Better" by Nancy Birnes

1/2 cup ammonia
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup baking soda
2 tablespoons liquid soap or Soft Soap
2 quarts of water

Use in spray bottles.

Syd

Dawn dish detergent does wonders. I wet the stain then rub in a little dawn before I throw it in the washer. Also used it on ink mark on leather purse and it took it out. I never buy prewash products.

Try Odorban it works You can get it at Walmart

Does anyone know how to make Grandma's Secret Spot Remover?

By Carrie

Answers

If you Google "Grandma's secret spot remover"you'll get several site to explore.
Hope this helped.

Awhile ago I read a recipe that really worked great for set in stains. It had ammonia and other items. One thing I remember about this recipe is your clothes had to soak a few days. Thanks so much to anybody that has this recipe.

By LuAnn C from Grand Blanc, MI

Answers

I don't know what type of fabric you are working with, so proceed carefully with this. I have used a paste made from powdered Cascade, lemon scent (just a little water with the powder to make a paste). Apply to stain, and then wash in the hottest water allowable for fabric. This works great on removing "rust" stains from old dresser scarves/runners.

I need a homemade spot remover to get a red stain out of a white jacket.

By Donella

How do I remove a red ink stain from a new cream 100% nylon waterproof jacket?

By helen from England

Stains on baby clothing can be really hard to remove without special treatment. This is a guide about stain remover for tough baby stains.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

These two ingredients combine to make a very effective stain remover. This is a guide about Dawn and peroxide homemade stain remover.

Common household products can be combined to make a powerful stain lifter. Use it with a brush for good results. This is a guide about a stain remover formula using Dawn, peroxide, and baking soda.

This paste is an especially good for grease stains in modern day materials. This is a guide about using baking soda and dawn for clothing stains.

Many homemade clothing stain removers contain one of these common cleaning ingredients: vinegar, dish soap, hydrogen peroxide, or ammonia. Even tough stains can often be treated with homemade solutions.

You don't need a specialized stain remover to clean your clothing. Generic shampoo works well for the task. This is a guide about using shampoo as a clothing stain remover.

Load More