How to Make Painted Wire and Glue Flowers
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
March 2, 2018
Read More Comments
This is a super fun and pretty craft using wires, wood glue, and nail polish. Bend the wires in whatever flower shapes you admire, dip in glue, then paint. They reflect such beautiful colours in the sun. I hope you give this a try!
Total Time: 90 minutes
Yield: 1 bouquet
- 18 to 20 gauge wire
- thick marker or dowel
- wire cutting pliers
- disposable cup
- wood glue
- nail polish
- Cut off a piece of wire about 16 inches long. A few inches in from one end, wrap a loop tightly around your marker then twist the end so it stays in place.
- Using the longer end, make a new loop around the marker right next to the first one. Twist to secure the end.
- Keep going around until you have five petals.
- Use your pliers to twist the first end of the wire onto the longer end of the wire, right under the flower. This is your stem.
- Use your thumb and forefinger to squeeze the petals so they're a bit more elongated.
- Now bend the petals downward over the curve of your marker.
- To make lucky clovers, repeat the process above and stop at 4 petals.
- Now pinch the petals the other way so they are wide and fat.
- If you'd like leaves on your flowers, make your petals, then make a couple extra, bigger ones to squeeze into leaves.
- Pour some wood glue into a disposable cup or bowl.
- Dip the flower heads into the wood glue.
- Allow the excess glue to drip back into the cup.
- Use the wire stem to poke into the piece of Styrofoam.
- Continue to dip all the flowers, poke into the Styrofoam, allow to dry for at least 30 minutes.
- Paint the petals with different colours of nail polish.
- Allow to dry for at least 15 minutes.
- Add glitter and accents if desired. I like to paint a different colour on the underside edges of the flowers to give it a gradient look.
- If you'd like to present it in a jar or vase, place a small block of Styrofoam inside.
- Poke the stems in the Styrofoam and arrange your bouquet.
- Enjoy your bouquet. They will last a lifetime!
I don't know who first came up with the idea for making flowers from wire and nail polish, but it's a really great idea. I want to share not only my way of forming such flowers, but my idea of decorating fabric with them, for example, denim.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.