How to Make a Chicken Go a Long Way
One roasted chicken can feed a family for many meals. You can make pot pie and chicken salad with the leftover meat after serving the roast chicken.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I am trying to make what I cook go a long way. This roasting chicken, made 3-4 meals! And I bought it on sale for around $5.00.
- 4 lb roasting chicken
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted for basting/with spice-garlic, sage, pepper, onion powder, basil, & celery salt
- Ingredients for gravy
- wondra flour mix
- chicken broth (and add the broth that was simmering on the stove)
- Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups cubed chicken
- 1 rolled pie crust
- Chicken Salad
- cubed chicken
- minced celery
- celery salt
- 1 tsp dill weed
- salt and pepper
Leftover chicken and gravy over egg noodles
- Cook the roast chicken until the internal temperature is 160 F. Let it cool. Then cut it up.
- Simmer the giblets of the chicken in a pot with a small chopped onion, chopped celery, salt and pepper, and a little sage. Simmer all day!
Chicken Pot Pie
- Start by making a thick and creamy gravy. Using 2 cups of chicken broth mixed with flour, parsley, chives, pepper, salt, garlic, onion powder, a bit of sage, Mix well in a large bowl. Pour into a saucepan. Heat on medium, stirring well. If too thick, thin it with chicken broth.
- Add a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. Then add 2 cups of cubed chicken, simmer and stir.
- Pour into a deep dish glass pie dish.
- Roll out a pie crust. Top the pie. Pinch the edges. Beat 1 egg, brush over the top of the the crust. Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Roast chicken dinner
- Make a batch of mashed potatoes and a vegetable.
- Make the roast gravy.
- Use the cut up pieces of chicken. Have some cranberry sauce.
- Cubed or shredded chicken.
- Mince 1/2 cup celery.
- Chill and serve on bread, roll, or pita pockets with some lettuce.
- Leftovers - cut up remaining chicken and use gravy and serve over egg noodles.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.