Make Roast Chicken Into Multiple Meals

Category Cheap Meals
Whether you roast one yourself or buy one on sale, a roast chicken can be divided up and used for several meals. Using small portions of the meat is economical and works well for casseroles, main dish salads, and more.

Each week I buy an already roasted chicken for $4.98 from Sam's and can put together a different quick meal from it using the following recipes.

Soup: Add chicken broth, mixed vegetables and pasta, noodles, rice or dumplings (cut can biscuits into 4 pieces), and drop in pot. Heat in pot until dumplings, rice or noodles are done.

Fried Rice: Add cooked rice, soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, peas and carrots, and stir-fry in wok or large frying pan. Stir in 2 beaten eggs while it's heating.

Divan: To chicken add cooked broccoli, white sauce or a cream of soup, top with cheddar cheese. Bake in casserole dish at 325* for one-half hour.

Sandwich: Slice chicken and place with (or w/out) cheese on bread which has been spread with mayonnaise or mustard. You can also place the chicken in the blender for a chicken spread.

Pulled Chicken: Warm with diced onions and BBQ sauce. Scoop onto rolls, add cheese slices.

Chicken and Gravy: Cover with cream of mushroom soup, add mushrooms and cook. Serve over mashed potatoes, stuffing or egg noodles.

Fettuccine Alfredo: Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese to cream of chicken soup, cook, pour over cooked fettuccine pasta and add cooked peas.

Chicken Salad: Dice chicken and mix with mayonnaise, sliced celery, onion, salt and pepper. Use for sandwiches or add to cooked pasta. You can use Italian salad dressing instead of mayonnaise

Stir Fry: Add to package of stir fry vegetables, with ginger, garlic, and soy sauce. Serve over rice.

Lo Mein: Cook with broccoli, garlic, olive oil and soy sauce, salt and pepper; adding cooked linguine and warm to bend favors before serving.

Scampi: Fry lots of garlic in butter, add yellow rice. When rice is done, add diced chicken, and heat.

Spanish Chicken with Rice: Dice chicken and heat with olives, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, garlic and, other spices you like (such as hot pepper, saffron, or chili powder). Pour over cooked yellow rice and peas.

Mexican: Add chicken to black beans and rice, diced tomatoes, and add chili powder cumin, garlic, pepper or other spices to taste.

Sweet and Sour: Sauce: cornstarch in cold water, smooth, add 1 small can of crushed pineapple, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces and heat until sauce is thick.

Greek Lemon: Heat chicken in olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper. Can sprinkle feta cheese on top.

Enchiladas: Roll tortillas with chicken, black beans, cheese, salsa. Place in casserole, pour enchiladas sauce over all, cover and bake 350 degrees F about 1/2 an hour.

Pot Pie: Mix together cooked mixed vegetables, chicken gravy, thyme and diced chicken in oiled dish. Lay prepared pie dough (or mix 1/2 cup milk, 1 egg, and 1 cup all-purpose baking mix, and pour over top. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Pad Thai: Rice noodles sauteed with chicken, egg, bean sprouts, diced scallions, ground peanuts, a little peanut butter.

Cajun Chicken Salad: Cajun spice, hot sauce, romaine lettuce, reduced fat Caesar salad dressing, grated Parmesan cheese (tomatoes, olives, etc. optional).

By Dee Bee from Naples, FL

I cook for two and the most bang for my buck has been roast chicken. On Sunday, when I have some extra time, I make this for dinner with the usual sides (mashed potatoes, salad, veggies). We eat what we want off of the roast chicken. After dinner, I strip the extra meat off. The extra chicken I use for casserole, chicken salad, chicken nachos, or anything else that uses pre-cooked chicken. Then, I throw the bones/scraps into my crock pot with some onions, carrots, salt, pepper, bay leaf or anything else I can find, cover with water and cook.

When I wake up the next morning, I have homemade broth that I can use immediately for soup or freeze for a later use.

I have found this to be multiple meals in one. When cooking for a small crowd, I can't think of a more affordable diverse dish! Plus, my roast chicken always tastes better than the overly dried out rotisserie chickens you buy in the deli!

Source: I started doing this at the start of the year, what a great idea!

By Adrianne from Adrian, Michigan

Great meal the first day and lots of tasty leftovers. Always a big hit.

After we have eaten a grocery store roasted chicken, I put the carcass, including juices and skin, into a big pot and cover with water. Simmer about an hour and you have chicken broth for soups or stews. The broth can be frozen until needed.

By Lynn

Food and Recipes Recipes Cheap MealsMarch 30, 2018
🐰
👒
🌻
🐛
😷