SewingCrafts

How to Sew Metallic Mesh

I have searched for answers to this question all over the internet (including youtube) and can't find even one example of how to sew metallic mesh. This fabric is very trendy right now. Many brands are using it. Metallic mesh was also a trend in the 90s, Paris Hilton wore it in the 2000s for her birthday and Kendall Jenner recently wore it.

I don't think this fabric could be sewn with a sewing machine, I think it has to be sewn by hand, but I don't really know how. I hope someone can help me.

Here are some photo examples.

I would take a small piece of the fabric and test it on your sewing machine. Use the smallest needed size you can find. You don't want to use a large size needle because it will make too large of a hole in your material.

Now start testing the stitch length. I would try starting out with a 12 point stitch and see how it looks. When you are shopping for your material ask the clerk what thread she recommends for this fabric.

Just watch your stitch size on your sample piece. Make sure it is not bunching up or ltoo lose. Be sure to double the material when sewing becaue you will be doing this when you sew yuor seams together. Find the right combination and enjoy.

You can stabilize it by sandwiching it between two thin pieces of tissue paper. This will make the fabric glide through the machine. Gently tear the stabilizer away after stitching. This works with slippery and sticky fabrics too.

It depends on how hard those little mirror bits are on the fabric. If you tape your fingernail on them, do they make plastic like noise?

If it seems that hard, avoid using a sewing machine as it might just start bending the needle and head. You might want to put super sheer fabric under this fabric and hand-stitch between the "dots"

This is not a really easy subject to write instructions and will work best if seen in person.
The Michael's and Jo Ann's in my area are giving classes on this and some are free while others are a small fee plus you will want to purchase some material most likely.
You can find out if there are going to be classes in your area - just Google sewing craft stores with your zip code and I feel sure you will find a class near you.
I have also heard that some of the sewing machine/parts stores are giving classes so you want to check those also. Much easier with hands on with this type of material.