Inexpensive Furniture at Yard Sales

I have been able to get some great deals on furniture at yard sales! You really have to shop around because at one sale you may see a kitchen/dining room type chair for $12 and the next place something similar will be just $2. Chairs with damaged straw seats can be used outside as a planter. Just replace the straw with window screen (in a bowl shape), cover the screen with newspaper, fill with dirt and plant.

My best recent deal was a bedroom suite (single canopy bed, large desk with a shelf unit, desk chair, 3 small chests and a full length mirror with stand). It is an older set, solid wood and has pretty painted flowers. One of the chests is in my living room and I have gotten loads of compliments. I also got the quilt bedspreads thrown in and it was all just $60! I've been to yard sales where just the bed has been $60 so you have to be patient and shop around. Good luck junking!

By Ann

Answers:

Inexpensive Furniture at Yard Sales

Chairs with damaged seats can also have a piece of wood cut to fit. Use batting and fabric and recover, and there you go! Cottage or country decor seats and looks cute at a wooden table, all different styles (04/02/2008)

By KimmyLynn

Inexpensive Furniture at Yard Sales

Thanks for the chair ideas. I need ALL new furniture. I had everything I own stolen from a rental truck. It is hard starting over at my age, but I have had some fun at yard sales too and some great buys. Also, Craig's List is a great place to "shop". Lots of older, good quality wooden furniture. (06/23/2008)

By mulberry204

Inexpensive Furniture at Yard Sales

I bought my outdoor furniture (table/4 chairs/umbrella and stand) for well under $100 - it was brand new - owner was relocating for his job and wanted it all gone. Plus the seller threw in all his planters, a few plants and helped me load it into my car for several trips. I still have the outdoor furniture 10 years later just starting to show signs of wear. =)

I have bought chairs for $1 each that the seller laughed at me saying don't sit on it! I used it to 'practice' my decorative painting stills and I fixed the chair as well as the screws just needed tightening. Now it is is showpiece in my home that everyone sits on and compliments me on!

(03/03/2009)

By dvg