Installing a Baby Gate for a Wide Archway
The archway between our front room and our living room is too wide for a standard baby gate. We tried one that had extension panels that could be added, but it damaged our hardwood flooring. We wanted to use a wall mounted gate, but couldn't find one wide enough for the opening. Here is our solution.
- Ikea Kallax shelf
- Evenflo baby gate
- mounting hardware
- hollow core door anchors
- drywall anchors, if necessary
- tape measure
- pencil and eraser
- Anchor the shelf to the wall.
- Use hollow core door anchors to attach the gate hardware to the side of the shelf.
- Attach the gate hardware to the wall and the shelf, according to the package instructions.
- Now we have a gate between our two rooms and we added fabric baskets to the shelf for storing blankets.
- Optional: We chose to remove the trim, so that the shelf was flush against the wall. Once the shelf was attached, we cut trim that fit snuggly to the sides of the shelf. We also attached the shelf at the bottom, using the predrilled anchor holes and a long screw. I applied a piece of clear tape over the screw head so that it didn't snag the fabric of the basket.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Guide