JapaneseInternational

Japanese Style Watermelon Rind Pickles

Vote for this contest contender!

This is one of my family's longtime "waste not want not" recipes. Don't throw out your watermelon rinds! With a bit of salt, you'll have a beautifully refreshing and crunchy pickle. It goes really well with a warm bowl of rice or noodles.

1. Remove all the pink watermelon flesh and and dark green outer skin with a knife.
  2. Place rinds into a plastic bag and sprinkle with salt.
  3. Tie the top of the bag and shake it around so the salt evenly distributes.
  4. Ad

5. Place bag in a bowl and cover with something heavy for several hours or overnight.
  6. Remove rinds from the bag and thinly slice.
  7. Ad

8. Give one a taste. If it's a bit too salty, you can lay them in a bowl of cold water until they lose some edge.

The Chinese also pickle watermelon rind but they use white vinegar and sugar for a sweet & sour pickle.

I do that with cucumbers-- yummy!

When I read the title of this recipe I almost knew for certain that it would be one of your recipes..

You usually have great and sometimes unusual recipes that are so easy (always good instructions) and have never failed to turn out just the way you describe (for me).
I use my mother's "way" but yours is a little easier so this recipe will be put to the test the next time we have watermelon.
Thanks

I like that I'm identifiable by title! ;) I'd love to know what your mother's "way" is :)