Keeping Birds Warm in an Outside Aviary

Category Birds
Pet birds are often not native to the area where they now live. Consequently, they may not be well adapted to outside conditions. This is a guide about keeping birds warm in an outside aviary.

So I am planning to buy a pair of gouldian finches, also I am planning to build an aviary on my terrace. In order for them to survive I need to know the temperature range that gouldians are comfortable with. I live in Serbia and the average low temperature during winter in Serbia is around 0 to 10 degrees Celsius, sometimes lower and sometimes higher, depending on the weather.

Also if the temperature is too low for them I plan to make a plastic curtain that I can roll down on the aviary so that they keep the heat and are protected from the weather, is the plan good enough and do you have any other suggestions when it comes to protecting them from the cold, heat, weather and so on?

Answers

Best Answer

Gouldian finches are an endangered species. Their native habitat is northern Australia where the temperatures average 70 to 90 degrees F. The humidity averages 80%. Keeping them alive outside in Serbia might be very hard to do.

Gouldian Finches are native to Australia. They require a temperature between 21 and 23 degrees c.

A plastic curtain may limit the amount of fresh air needed for the birds in the cage. You may need a fabric that "breaths" . It may also need to create more warmth than plastic does. Google finch breeders & enquire with them for some hints.

Yes I know that gouldians are native to Australia , but I doubt that these were imported from Australia , surely they can withstand lower temperatures then the ones from Australia no?
Also it wont be a cage it will be an aviary so they will have plenty of air during the night , they wont use up all the air and it wont be air tight , it will be temperature and draft proof ,not air proof :P I hope , also i will put a removable styrofoam on the bottom and top of the cage so I get to insulate the heat even more