Keeping Fire Ants Out of Dog Food Bowls

How can I keep fire ants out of my dog's food bowls? I've tried chalk, orange peels, and even Vaseline coated bowls. These fierce southern fire ants have proven hard to detour!

Keep the bowls in a tray of water. The ants can't cross water and survive.

Anonymous

Sprinkle powdered Cinnamon around bowls.

Have you tried food grade diatomaceous earth? I'd put it on the ants and follow them to where they come from. You could put a barrier all around your dog's pen or your yard if you have to. It will let the ants in, but will kill them. It's taken care of bugs by the second day for me. It won't hurt your dog, you, or children if they get into it either.

If you have a bad problem, spread it around your yard and all around the outside of your house too. It's safe to use indoors, but it is a dust, so it can be messy if you're not careful. Just make sure it's food grade. Some sites say it is dangerous if breathed in, but that's the non-food grade, which is poisonous if ingested, so just stay away from that type.