Keeping Outdoor Cat from Leaving Dead Mice on Porch

Where can I buy something that will discourage the outdoor cat from bringing her fresh killed mouse and dissecting it on my outdoor concrete porch and leaving it there. It is disgusting to look at and trying to walk around. I cleaned it up once and she did the same thing again the next day. She is a stray that took up here and I would not want to harm it. I want to discourage her from doing it over and over again. Any suggestions would be helpful?

Best Answer

The only thing I can find to help you would be to use a critter repellent in this area. It is a harmless and safe powder that you can sprinkle in the area the cat is leaving the dead mice.

Since you've adopted the cat, she/he is so grateful that they are brining you a gift for your kindness. If you'd like to keep the cat and allow it to live outside it might be wise to build the cat a very small home it can live in during the winter and colder months of the year. You can also plant a bit of catnip around the area you'd like the cat to stay in your yard.

Here is the link to the powder - www.critter-repellent.com/.../2CE103CS.html

Cat brings home dead mice. Cats are hunters by nature. This is their way of bringing you a prize. To discourage, do the following:

Step 1
Praise him for the prize, and offer a catnip-filled toy instead.

Step 2
Convert him to an indoor cat.

There is not too much you can do.
You can put a collar on him with a bell on it so the prey will get away from him.
Use a break away collar in case the cat gets stuck on a tree it will release.
The cat thinks he is sharing it with you and that is why they bring it to you.
Try spraying vinegar and water around your patio to repell the cat from coming to your house.