Keeping Your Refrigerator Clean and Organized

Category Kitchen
A lot of waste comes from food being "lost" in the back of a messy refrigerator. Organization helps you keep more money in your wallet while making cooking a snap. This is a guide about keeping your refrigerator clean and organized.

I use plastic placemats to line the top shelf of my refrigerator. I cut up the old placemats to fit the top shelf and it really helps when it comes time to clean. Milk jugs usually make the most mess in my refrigerator and this way I just pick up the placemat and clean it off and do not have all the hard milk stains to clean up. I put one placemat on each side of the top shelf.

The other item I use to help keep the fridge clean and organized is one of the plastic sock holders you can purchase in stores like Walmart. This holds my condiments either on the shelf or in the side drawer. This way if something like soy sauce drips, it is inside this plastic holder and not on my fridge. I use several of these in the door of my fridge.

This also helps when you are cleaning as you can lift out the entire container for cleaning. You can see the blue placemat under the milk, and there is one of the sock holders with condiments in it.

To keep your refrigerator fast and easy to clean, use old vinyl place mats on glass shelves and cut pieces to fit for inside of condiment shelves, vegetable bins, etc. Simply pull out, wash off, dry, and put back into place. Mats are available in many decorator looks too! No more bending over for long periods of time!

By Denise from Crescent City, CA

I used to think everyone did this, but they don't. Besides the benefit of keeping it clean, this will prevent food from getting shoved to the back and forgotten about. It will also help you plan your menus to use the food available. It will also make you a better cook, because you will combine what you have in your refrigerator to make some dishes you have never tried before.

Source: My mother.

By Judy from NY