CatsPets

Keeping a Cat Cool in Hot Living Area

I live in an attic with my cat and it just started getting really warm (+30°C). It is not well ventilated and I'm terrified for my cat. Do any of you know how dangerous it is to leave him at home during the day? Or any ideas on how to keep him cool?
Thank you!

You could use a fan. Make sure he has plenty of water.

Thank you for you answer

Do you have an overhead fan? Seems like a couple of fans may be the only way to help your cat stay cool. Maybe oscillating fans would work better. Just be sure they are setting on a sturdy area, probably one on the floor and another on a table pointing in whatever direction your cat likes to lay. Try to find fans that have good protection in case your cat tries to play with the moving blade.

Be sure to have a couple of bowls of water placed where your cat can drink but where bowls will not turn over.

Hopefully there is some air circulation in an area that your cat can lay but not where they can hurt themselves.

They do make roll around air conditioners that work really well. They sell these at stores like Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot and on-line through these stores or eBay or Amazon. The cost is usually between $100 and 200 dollars.

Anonymous

Thank you so much for your answer. I am afraid to leave any fan or AC on, it's an old house and I don't think if it's safe. I am probably too anxious, I have AC but I am afraid to leave it on for 12 hours ( some days) when i am not there. But I don't know what would be more dangerous for my cat, staying in an attick at more than 30°C or leaving the AC on in an unsupervised old house for an entire day?

i agree with the others--fans and lots of water. Is there anyone who could check on the cat for you during the hotest days?

Not really, I live in a pretty bad area in Paris, even pet sitters won't come here

i am sorry that you are having difficulty taking care of your cat but, I truly believe that if you cannot leave some type of circulation going on during the day then you should consider finding someone who can give your cat a safer environment. Heat like this can be a form of torture to a pet and you need to reconsider keeping an animal under these circumstances.

You are wise to ask the question because that is approaching temperatures that may make your cat uncomfortable. Like other's mentioned, finding a way to move the air and water are important. If you have any windows that sun comes in, keeping them covered during the day will help keep the attic cooler. Try to get the space as cold as possible before you leave. On a particularly hot day, stay home and track what the temperature gets to without A/C. If it's much hotter than 30C you will need some solution to keep it cooler.