Lampshade out of Transparent Duct Tape
Silver Answer Medal for All Time! 440 Answers
July 8, 2021
Hot glue and expired eyeshadow will help you transform a simple transparent sticky tape into this original lampshade. Making this lampshade is not difficult and not expensive. It is washable and durable, but can only be used with a LED bulb.
Total Time: 3 Hours
- transparent duct tape
- transparent hot glue sticks
- dry eyeshadow
- hot glue gun
- paper or cardboard
- compass or ruler and pencil
- baking paper
- suitable size & shape container
- Draw a circle with a diameter of 4.5 cm and cut it out (diameter depends on the width of the duct tape).
- Cover the template with duct tape, sticky side up.
Apply eyeshadow to the sticky side of the duct tape around the circumference of the template (circle).
- Cut a piece of duct tape with a colored circle, flip it over, and stick the sticky colored side to the sticky side of the duct tape.
- Place the paper template under the colored part of the duct tape and cut the exact same circle out of the duct tape.
- Repeat the steps 3, 4, 5 and make many colored circles from the duct tape.
For the lampshade with a diameter of 14 cm and a length of 10.5 cm, I made 116 duct tape circles.
- Wrap the container with baking paper.
- Fold a duct tape circle in half and then again in half. Hot glue it to the edge of the wrapped container. Then squeeze out a line of hot glue from it and glue another folded circle in the distance.
Continue to glue folded duct tape circles in the same way and cover the entire side of the container. Make sure that all pieces of duct tape are connected with hot glue. If you have a very curved container, you may have trouble removing the mold. Therefore, leave a few folded circles unconnected along the length of the lampshade.
To make the upper part of the lampshade less voluminous, I simply glued pieces of colored duct tape with hot glue.
Wait for the hot glue to cool down and harden well.
- Remove the container from the lampshade and separate the baking paper.
If the lampshade has unconnected folded circles, then connect them with hot glue. Trim the edges.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.