Lemon Tree Not Blooming or Producing Lemons

My sister has grown a lemon tree from a seed. It is 7 years old. It has never produced any flowers or fruit. It grew small plants and she transplanted them into pots. Do lemon and lime trees have thorns, and what can she do to produce flowers and fruit on them?

By Kateyes from illinois

Answers:

I have a Ponderosa lemon tree which is about 5 years old, produces so many lemons the size of grapefruit! It is not from seed though, and I had an old timer at a nursery tell me that commercial citrus trees are grafted onto a tried and true type of, in my case, lemon. So the base may be one type of lemon, a type that is hearty and freeze resistant, pest resistant, whatever. The top is the fruit I bought. If I take a seed from my Ponderosa lemon, it will not have the good stock of the base tree. (04/03/2009)

By jdrinkwater

I planted Ponderosa Lemon trees from seeds about 10-11 years ago, and in July of 2008, I got my first lemons! I never noticed any flowers on them at all. I checked them constantly, and one day there they were! Lemons! Just this last week I noticed little white flower buds (April 2009) for the first time. My roommate says that I had to have had flowers on them last year to have fruit. I've read that all citrus seeds will produce fruit, it just takes about 10 years for it to happen. Is it possible for these trees not to have had flowers before it produced lemons? I have been all over the web trying to find that answer...but no luck. Does anyone out there have the answer? Thanks in advance for your input. (04/05/2009)

By karen3752

I suppose you have to have some pollination going on. (04/06/2009)

By TandT Grandma