Lemon Tree Not Blooming or Producing Fruit

Category Fruit Trees
Lemon fruits are produced from blooms nearly year round under good conditions. This guide is about lemon tree not blooming or producing fruit.

I have a mini Meyers lemon tree. It will produce flowers, but then they fall off. I have had this tree for about 4 years, but have had no lemons. It is in a large planter. It is now putting out new leaves, but I want lemons. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

By Debi from Minnesota, MN

Answers

Best Answer

My guess is it needs more light. I would get a full spectrum bulb to put over it. I would make sure it gets full light for 12-14 hours a day. Check its fertilizer and make sure it is not over or underfed.

Best Answer

I received a tip last year to take a paintbrush and gently paint or dab each flower to transfer pollen. It seemed to have worked since lemons grew on my tree last year. Hope this helps.

I am from Durban South Africa. I planted an Erica lemon tree almost two years ago and up to now have only had 4 buds and no fruit. Please help!

By Julia R

Answers

Doesn't sound like it got pollenated. Most trees you need more than 1 tree for this to happen.

I'm also from Durbs, my lemon tree hasnt flowered at all. I am trying bonemeal and banana peels for phosphorous and potassium.

I used to live in New Mexico and my Meyers lemon tree did great. I moved to northern Brazil and brought the tree. It grows great - almost like a bush, but quit producing lemons and flowers.

Not sure what to do since it grows great.

Answers

It's in shock after the transplant. Give it time to adapt.

I have a lemon tree that is over 5 years old. To date it has never bloomed. I have dug a shallow ditch where the branches end and I have put organic compost into this. I also water daily only in this ditch after the monsoons until the next monsoon. What am I doing wrong?

By Marie

Answers

Citrus trees do not like wet roots. Be careful about over watering! If you get heavy rain once a week, you do not need to water at all. I have a huge lemon tree with 100's of lemons and only water deeply once a week because it doesn't rain in California where I live.

Good luck!

My lemon tree does not produce any fruit. It is about 8 feet high, full of leaves and very healthy.

Peter

Answers:

Lemon Tree Not Blooming Or Producing Lemons

I can't help the original request, but for the lady with the Meyers lemon, it might help to know that here in Florida, where they are natives, they bloom all year around and continuously have fruit in various stages of maturity. Because of a poor soil situation I grow mine in pots and just bring them inside when we have a frost or rare freeze.

Even keeping them small like that they produce a tremendous amount of fruit. They are the only citrus I know of that does not have to be grafted--I start several a year just from cutting back the older trees and sticking the cut branches in a pot of dirt--watering daily until they develop a root system. They usually start producing within a year, but they do need healthy pollinators during the times they are in bloom. (01/05/2009)

By Cherie Peterson

My neighbour has always dug a few tablespoons of epsom salt around the base of her lemon trees and has had plenty of large fruit every year. My grandfather had trouble with his tree and tried the same with good results worth a try, use maybe 2 tablespoons. Not sure how big the tree is that you have. Hope you have success if you give this a go. (01/05/2009)

By Teresa

I have a lemon tree, started by seed from a lemon slice, which is about 10 years old. It has beautiful foliage and grows to about 8 to 10 feet tall each year. We live in an area with freezing winters, so I have to cut it back in order to get it into the house.

My problem is that it never blooms or has any lemons on it. What is the problem? Are two trees needed to pollinate each other? Will it never have lemons on it? I'd appreciate any feedback or help.
Thank you in advance.

Karen from Missouri

Answers:

Some citrus does need to cross pollinate. (05/12/2005)

By Linda

In order for pollination to occur, you need to have flowers first. Just having a second lemon tree nearby will not make your original tree bloom. :-)

Unfortunately, I have no idea why your tree doesn't bloom. Some types of fruits only produce flowers/fruit on old wood that's been around for at least a year. Maybe (big emphasis on "maybe"!) by cutting the tree back, you're cutting off the old wood that would produce fruit. Wild guess on my part. Other possibilities are too-short days (don't know where you live but this might be an issue if you're pretty far north), missing nutrients, and being root bound.
Maybe a Google search would turn up some info for you. Good luck! (05/12/2005)

By Lynne

I'm having a similar problem although my tree is only going on it's second season. It hasn't grown much so I moved it to a sunnier spot. I also just fed it citrus/tropical fertilizer. It hasn't been long enough yet to see results. I'm hoping it just needed some fertilizer. Also I found out that they need to be fed March through Sept. but check your species just in case. Good luck! Jennifer, (05/13/2005)

I found information on the Internet which stated that lemon trees planted from seeds take 15 years to bear fruit. I still have 7 or 8 years to go with mine. Be patient. (06/28/2005)

By Rosemary

It is worth knowing that the tree has not been grown on wild stock. If it has it may never flower. You may be able to graft onto it to produce healthy fruit. I have a one year old lemon that has fruit already. I also have a 3 year old lime that hasn't flowered. I think I will try spraying it with seaweed emulsion which is supposed to protect from frosts, and promote healthy flowering. I also have a citrus that grew from a seed and is a really healthy plant but hasn't flowered. I think I will try grafting onto it this year from Mum's orange tree which has great fruit in a similar climate. Good luck (07/08/2005)

From my experience, fruit trees grown from seed are never very successful - you would be much better off buying a grafted tree from a plant nursery. They graft the better quality fruit onto a strong rooted variety. Fruit trees need to be fertilized 4 times per year with a citrus and fruit tree fertilizer and if it fails to bloom give it a feed of Sulphate of Ammonia. You don't need two trees - just some bees to pollinate them. Hope this helps! (08/12/2005)

By Lyn

My lemon tree is blooming for the first time this year at 23 years old. Miracle Gro is the only fertilizer I have used. It winters in the house in an unheated room. (05/02/2007)

By Carol

My research into the subject has found that a lemon tree planted from seeds will not bloom or fruit for about 10 to 15 years, usually, and probably will not be the same as the original tree the seed came from. In other words, if you planted a seed from a Myers lemon the tree probably will not produce Myers lemons when it does bud and fruit. If you want fruit before then, you must graft a bud from another tree onto it. Simply do a search on google "grafting lemon trees" and about 100,000 sites with info will come up. Good luck. (05/11/2007)

By andy

13-13-13 is the food of choice for citrus trees. No you do not need 2 trees to make baby lemons. You must have a grafted tree to produce. My lemon trees are 2 years old producing approx. 40-50 lbs of citrus. It gets better every year. You must control the white flies and other bugs as well. The dark dirt looking stuff on the leaves are not helping the growth. (11/07/2007)

By Randy

My 2 trees are about 8 years old, and basically abandoned until just now. I just trimmed back the bush to make it into a tree once again and I realized it's starting to bud. I've heard it just takes a long time to bare fruit, so just wait and see. (02/27/2008)

I have a lemon tree that is approximately ten feet tall. It is really healthy and has produced lemons in years past. For the past two years, however, it hasn't bloomed. What has happened?

I have a lemon tree grown from a seedling. It is 7' tall and has never bloomed. It smells like lemons, but has no flowers.

I have a lemon tree that has not bloomed in 2 years and there are no lemons growing. I am not sure what my gardener has done; what can I do?

I have a Meyer lemon tree that will not grow a flower or a fruit. It just gets bigger and bigger with long thorns on it. What can I do with this tree? Thank you.

My sister has grown a lemon tree from a seed. It is 7 years old. It has never produced any flowers or fruit. Do lemon and lime trees have thorns, and what can she do to produce flowers and fruit on them?