Lemon Tree Not Blooming or Producing Fruit

Category Fruit Trees
Lemon fruits are produced from blooms nearly year round under good conditions. This guide is about lemon tree not blooming or producing fruit.

I have a mini Meyers lemon tree. It will produce flowers, but then they fall off. I have had this tree for about 4 years, but have had no lemons. It is in a large planter. It is now putting out new leaves, but I want lemons. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

By Debi from Minnesota, MN

Answers

Best Answer

My guess is it needs more light. I would get a full spectrum bulb to put over it. I would make sure it gets full light for 12-14 hours a day. Check its fertilizer and make sure it is not over or underfed.

Best Answer

I received a tip last year to take a paintbrush and gently paint or dab each flower to transfer pollen. It seemed to have worked since lemons grew on my tree last year. Hope this helps.

I am from Durban South Africa. I planted an Erica lemon tree almost two years ago and up to now have only had 4 buds and no fruit. Please help!

By Julia R

Answers

Doesn't sound like it got pollenated. Most trees you need more than 1 tree for this to happen.

I'm also from Durbs, my lemon tree hasnt flowered at all. I am trying bonemeal and banana peels for phosphorous and potassium.

I used to live in New Mexico and my Meyers lemon tree did great. I moved to northern Brazil and brought the tree. It grows great - almost like a bush, but quit producing lemons and flowers.

Not sure what to do since it grows great.

Answers

It's in shock after the transplant. Give it time to adapt.

I have a lemon tree that is over 5 years old. To date it has never bloomed. I have dug a shallow ditch where the branches end and I have put organic compost into this. I also water daily only in this ditch after the monsoons until the next monsoon. What am I doing wrong?

By Marie

Answers

Citrus trees do not like wet roots. Be careful about over watering! If you get heavy rain once a week, you do not need to water at all. I have a huge lemon tree with 100's of lemons and only water deeply once a week because it doesn't rain in California where I live.

Good luck!

I have a lemon tree that is approximately ten feet tall. It is really healthy and has produced lemons in years past. For the past two years, however, it hasn't bloomed. What has happened?

By charlie smith from Quitman, LA

Answers:

Lemon Tree Not Blooming or Producing Lemons

It obviously needs some fertilizer. You should try the special one for orange and other citrus or a cheaper one. Fertilizer for tomatoes, works well. Do it once a week, but not too much. (08/30/2010)

By Olga Proniewski

I have a lemon tree grown from a seedling. It is 7' tall and has never bloomed. It smells like lemons, but has no flowers. It is very sturdy and located near an orange tree. I suspect it is only an ornamental tree. Is there anything I can try to make it bloom?

By dave from Melbourne, FL

Answers:

My pear tree wasn't bearing until I got a 2nd tree. Now I have more than I can use. (05/30/2010)

By Jean

I have a lemon tree that has not bloomed in 2 years and there are no lemons growing. I am not sure what my gardener has done; what can I do?

By ona

Answers:

I have a lemon tree that produces well, but it took several years after it was planted before it started producing. If you have a new tree, maybe it just needs more time and care. Mine is a Meyer lemon tree. (03/20/2010)

By Nan Corpe

I have a Meyer lemon tree that will not grow a flower or a fruit. It just gets bigger and bigger with long thorns on it. What can I do with this tree? Thank you.

By Peggy Manning from Napa, CA

Answers:

I had that problem also, then I went back to the nursery where I bought my lemon tree and their gardner told me that you must have a second fruit tree. Either in your property or close by so that they can pollinate. Otherwise, the fruit tree won't be able to produce fruit.
My solution was to buy a lemon tree and since then I've had lemons. Hope that helps. (01/14/2010)

By Rosa

My sister has grown a lemon tree from a seed. It is 7 years old. It has never produced any flowers or fruit. Do lemon and lime trees have thorns, and what can she do to produce flowers and fruit on them?

My lemon tree does not produce any fruit. It is about 8 feet high, full of leaves and very healthy.

I have a lemon tree, started by seed from a lemon slice, which is about 10 years old. It has beautiful foliage and grows to about 8 to 10 feet tall each year. We live in an area with freezing winters, so I have to cut it back in order to get it into the house.