Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit

Category Fruit Trees
Lemon and blossoms on tree
It is very disappointing to see your citrus trees fail to set fruit. This is a guide about citrus trees not producing fruit.

This guide is about lemon tree not blooming or producing fruit. Lemon fruits are produced from blooms nearly year round under good conditions.

Lemon and blossoms on tree

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I don't know what happened, but none of my citrus fruited this year. There were blossoms, but no fruit.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Lynne from Gulf Coast AL

In Australia if the fruit trees do not set their fruit it can sometimes be the bees have not been able to pollinate the flowers if there has been a cold snap or a lot of rain. I have 1 Lemon, 1 Mandarin, 1 Orange, 1 Lime and all bear fruit with no close neighbours. I also sprinkle washing soda granules around the base of the tree, water it in and I have an abundance of fruit.

This is a world wide problem with the bees not pollinating. My summer gardens were sparse, our fruit trees slighted greatly. This is sad when we depend on the bee to ensure us our crops. Those who have not seen the movie Bees, needs to get it. Even though it is a children's cartoon movie, it tells the story and the importance of their jobs. Without them, we can't exist.

We have one each lemon, pink lemon, lime, tangelo, and grapefruit tree in our yard. We planted them from 1-3 yrs ago. So far we have gotten 2 lemons and a lime. The trees are growing, just not producing fruit. Do I need to have 2 of the same tree to get fruit?

Darlene from southwest FL

Answers:

Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit

I have heard that you need a female and a male tree to produce the fruit of the citrus tree. When we lived in AZ we had a lemon tree, just one, but our neighbors also had a few and they must have been close enough for bees or the wind to pollinate our tree. I could be totally wrong here. But check with a local nursery and ask them what might be wrong. (09/23/2008)

By Jen

Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit

I had an orange tree when I was a kid that grew from seeds that I actually had just stuck in one of my mom's flowerpots. It was a beautiful tree, and a great conversation starter, but never produced flowers, let alone fruit. Mom consulted a greenhouse and they told us that citrus plants must have a male and a female tree in order to produce fruit. (09/23/2008)

By bailegirl

Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit

I have one lemon tree and it produces just fine, but your tree might need more time. It takes years for a new tree to start producing, probably 3 to 5. (01/30/2010)

By Stngray