Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit

We have one each lemon, pink lemon, lime, tangelo, and grapefruit tree in our yard. We planted them from 1-3 yrs ago. So far we have gotten 2 lemons and a lime. The trees are growing, just not producing fruit. Do I need to have 2 of the same tree to get fruit?

Darlene from southwest FL

Answers:

Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit

I have heard that you need a female and a male tree to produce the fruit of the citrus tree. When we lived in AZ we had a lemon tree, just one, but our neighbors also had a few and they must have been close enough for bees or the wind to pollinate our tree. I could be totally wrong here. But check with a local nursery and ask them what might be wrong. (09/23/2008)

By Jen

Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit

I had an orange tree when I was a kid that grew from seeds that I actually had just stuck in one of my mom's flowerpots. It was a beautiful tree, and a great conversation starter, but never produced flowers, let alone fruit. Mom consulted a greenhouse and they told us that citrus plants must have a male and a female tree in order to produce fruit. (09/23/2008)

By bailegirl

Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit

I have one lemon tree and it produces just fine, but your tree might need more time. It takes years for a new tree to start producing, probably 3 to 5. (01/30/2010)

By Stngray