Low-Fat Oatmeal Cookie Recipes

Category Low Fat
Reducing the fat in your diet does not mean that you have to completely sacrifice having a sweet delicious oatmeal cookie. This page contains low-fat oatmeal cookie recipes.

My mother gave me an economy sized container of quick cook oats. Does anyone have a low-fat recipe for oatmeal cookies? I am on Weight Watchers. Or any other creative ways of using the enormous container of oatmeal. It would take my family 6 months to eat it! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

Monica from Pingree Grove, IL

Answers

Oatmeal itself is lowfat. We eat it with skim or 2% milk for breakfast as part of our weight loss diet. Most oatmeal cookies will be low fat--just watch what you use for your oil/btter (use a low fat) and don't add in the choc chips@

My mother follows the recipe on the oatmeal box only substitutes Splenda for the sugar. My dad likes them better, not as sweet and great for diabetics.

Use oatmeal instead of bread or cracker crumbs in meatloaf, meatballs etc. You can also grind it finer in a blender or food processor and use like a specialty flour in baking oher than cookies. How about whipping up a batch or two of granola? it can be made low fat too.

Leftover cooked oatmeal is great in pancakes.

There are all sorts of different recipes using oatmeal at the Quaker web site. Not just cookies and that sort.

http://quakeroa  ecipes/index.cfm

They have on the link above where you can filter out just the cookie recipes that are heart smart or ones that are low cal etc.

Preacher cookies use a lot of oameal but really aren't low cal by any means. They are almost like candy.

Oatmeal cake is scrumptious.

Granola uses lots of oats and can be made to be low cal or low fat with the right recipe.

I keep meaning to try it but have not yet is a recipe I keep seeing for Baked Oatmeal. Supposidly even the leftovers are good.

For a different taste in breakfast oats, add a spoonful of peanut butter to the warm cereal. It is yummy. And you can put the uncooked oats into freezer bags and keep it a year or more.

Mrs. Elson's Oatmeal Cookies
Turlock ,Ca. 1951

cream 3/4 cup shortening and 1 cup sugar
add 2 eggs , well beaten
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup each : chopped nuts,chocolate chips and raisins

Mix all together and drop by spoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake in 325* oven for 10 - 12 minutes.

BAKED OATMEAL
1/2 c. oil or applesauce
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
3 c. oatmeal
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
nuts, optional

1. Bake at 350 degrees, 30-35 minutes.
Also can be cut in half and microwaved.

Not sure where the last recipe came from..GG Vi

Also, oatmeal is soothing for the skin. Good to use as a facial scrub, or a little in bathwater, or tied in a washcloth in the shower.

I was looking for another recipe and came across this one for Oatmeal cookies on the WW forum. It has applesauce instead of fats and egg white instead of eggs.

http://tinyurl.com/5bgprf

We make granola! Lots of recipes on the internet, though I use Tightwad Gazette's w/ the addition on coconut, and cheap nuts: sunflower seeds, pepitas(pumpkin seeds, shelled), and sesame seeds--all bought in bulk. Not exactly low-fat, but filling, and so much cheaper and healthier than processed dry cereal. I've also made scones, muffins, used it in meatloaf, but I find the cookies good, if a bit dry. But making a double-batch of granola can use about 10 cups at once, and it lasts for awhile. We like it on our homemade yogurt, too!

I'm looking for a oatmeal cookie or bar recipe that is fat free and low in carbohydrates.

Judy from MI

Answers

A google search for your request (Fat Free Low Carb Oatmeal Cookies) yielded lots of choices. Try it and see what you prefer. I liked this one:

http://www.dlif  e?recipeId=10208

Oatmeal has a little bit of fat in it so your best bet is to search low-fat :)

I'm looking for recipes for low fat/low or no sugar oatmeal cookies. I just love these darned things, but they are so full of fat and sugar.

By nonniebeth from Rome, GA

Answers

Take your regular recipe and experiment:
1. Substitute Splenda for 3/4 of the sugar. I always maintain at least 1/4 of the sugar amount as real sugar.

2. Substitute unsweetened applesauce for all of the margarine/butter. Don't use equal amounts though. Two tablespoons of applesauce is usually appropriate for a standard recipe. I do this for muffins all the time, and it works great. But be aware that using applesauce means that your cookies/muffins won't keep more than a couple of days unless you refrigerate them. That's usually not a problem at my house!