Oatmeal Cookie Bar Recipes

Category Bars

By adding any number of inclusions or layers you can make delicious oatmeal cookie bars. This page contains oatmeal cookie bar recipes.

• 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups oatmeal
Filling:
  • 12 oz. milk chocolate chips
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 can Eagle Brand milk
  • 1 cup nuts

Directions:

Cream butter, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla; sift dry ingredients together and add to creamed mixture.

For filling: Melt chocolate chips in butter. Add milk and nuts. Put 1/2 of first mix in pan; pour over filling and top with remaining crust. Grease bottom of cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

This is my husband's favorite recipe for a snack for his lunch! Very portable!

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, pecans, margarine and egg. Beat on low until well mixed. Stir in oats. Press 1/2 of the mix in greased 8x8 pan. Spread pie filling over top. Crumble the other half of mix over that. Bake at 350 F for 45 to 50 minutes.

I hope you and yours enjoy this recipe!

Cindy from Medicine Hat, AB Canada

About 50 years ago, a girlfriend at school brought oatmeal cookies for lunch made by her Mom. They were a hard, crunchy, bar-like cookie made in a square pan and cut into pieces. I have never found another recipe that comes close and am wondering if anyone else might know how to make these.

Thanks

Answers

Maybe you are looking for Scotch Teas. It is a very simple recipe, but they are good, as well as quick.

Scotch Teas

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 cups quick cooking rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
In saucepan combine sugar and butter; cook and stir until the butter melts. Remove from heat and stir in oats, baking powder and salt. Mix well and put into a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool and cut into 24 bars. These will set and become hard as they cool. From the Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Cookies Cook Book. The only problem I remember having with these is that if you leave them in too long, they will really stick in the pan, especially the corners.

I have made oatmeal bars before from misc. recipes, nothing special.
Need to warn you to pack the mixture tightly in the baking pan or the bars will crumble easily when sliced.

I have a recipe somewhere that I used to make often as a Scout for outings--Hudson's Bay Bread or something like that. It was really good--but a newer, more chewable and tasty version of the old seabiscuits. It was a LOT of oatmeal, minimal liquid (though there was a lot of Karo Syrup involved), and you can add chopped almonds or walnuts or raisins and chocolate chips for flavor.
I can't remember the recipe off the top of my head--but I would suggest you Google "Hudson's Bay Bread Recipe" or "Homemade Energy Bars" or something--(that is what they were--healthy energy bars you could make at home. I do remember that it made quite a panful--and they were very filling, e.g. you didn't have to eat much of one before you were full).

Cheers,
PMZ
PS--Try "homemade energy bars" first--It might not have been the same type of bread as Hudson's Bay fare.