Make Capes from Favorite T-Shirts

Category Clothing
Rework your child's favorite t-shirt into a fun cape. This is a guide about make capes from favorite t-shirts.

Turn kids' old tees, or character shirts, or PJ tops into fun capes! Give the cute shirt designs a second life, especially if the kids still love them but have outgrown, ripped, or soiled some parts of them.

Can just use scissors or a seam ripper to complete. If you're 'real fancy' you can even hem the edges!

Great fun for kids all summer or even as an easy Halloween costume!

My kitty posed, somewhat, to show you the finished product! ;-)

Total Time: 5 minutes

• old tee shirt or PJ top (child or adult)
  • scissors
  • optional- seam ripper, sewing machine)

1. Simply cut or seam rip the arms off an old shirt with a graphic you or your kids like.
  2. Turn it around to the back and either cut away or seam rip the stitches holding the back neck material. NOTE: Don't cut it completely off or even all the way around the neck since the child will slip their head into the neck opening to wear it at the end!
  3. That's it!
  4. Ad

5. Kids slip their heads into the opening and wear the cape on their backs. Instant superhero! I slipped my finished project on my cat, who became an instant super hero..hahaha. You may stitch the shirt together if you want or if you want to use it for Halloween. I left it as is.
  6. I saw a Boy Scout troop making these as a project on Earth Day and I thought they were adorable! They were using all sorts of tee shirt designs too including hearts and butterflies. The little kids (girls and boys) looked so cute!
  7. Ad

8. Might be a fun summer project!
  9. Enjoy!