Making Carmel Covered Apples?

I make a lot of caramel apples dipped in chocolate. My problem is that the chocolate will crack and sometimes the cracks are quite large. After I put the caramel on, I put in the frig to harden, then dip in chocolate. Then I put back in the frig to set the chocolate.

Can any one tell me how to stop the cracking? What am I doing wrong? I use Peter's brand of caramel and candy melts (wafers) for the chocolate.

By Terry from MI

Answers

Try cooling the apples at room temperature. They may be cooling too fast.

In most recipe using dipping chocolate they use shortening in the chocolate. Might try a tablespoon of shortening in the chocolate. Also like Ann said keep the apple at room temperature.

Thank yous for the feedback. I will use these suggestions.

Terry in MI

Answer this Question