Making Decorative Magnets

Category Other
A fun project for the kids or adults in the family is making decorative magnets. They can be used in your home or given as gifts. This is a guide about making decorative magnets.

I love making people little things and then giving them gift baskets. One of the things I make are magnets. Magnets can be made from all kinds of thing. The ones I am submitting are the small photos on the backs of calendars. I simply use Dollar Tree sealing tape, the 2 inch wide kind. I then cut a piece of cardboard the same size at the photo, and cover the photo with enough tape to wrap around the back, securing it to the cardboard. Then, using hot glue or tacky glue, I put a flat magnet on the back.

Note: Flat magnets come in all shapes, but mostly they are strips. Stay away from the rolled kind, as they are hard to flatten out. I get the discs when I can, as they are stronger. You can often find both at the dollar trees', but if you get the strips, make sure to test them on the metal first. Some have a small groove down the middle of the magnet, and that either indicates the strong or the weak side. The ones I use are weaker on that side, so I just remember "when in doubt, the groove is out" and then I don't forget.

During the seasons, DT's often have little "fimo style" plastic ornaments that are flat and make perfect pins or magnets. Other ideas for magnets are:

The list is limited only by your imagination!

You will need:

Most of the things that are mentioned can also be used to make pins. Just make sure that the pin back is not only stuck to the item, but covered with glue, as well. Hot glue works fine with porous things, but stronger glue needs to be used for slick surfaces.

Have Fun!!

By Sandra from Salem, OR

This tip should have been thought of at the beginning of the year but, oh well.

Don't throw away old theme calendars, some of them have thumbnails on the very back page that make perfect fridge magnets. Cut each thumbnail out individually and place on a magnetic sheet (the kind that you buy at the dollar store). If you place them close together you can get a lot of magnets out of one 5 x 7 inch magnet sheet. Great for someone who wants small gifts to enclose as tuck-ins

Source: me, I have done this for years, then I sell them at craft sales for $1 each.

By Leanne from Williams Lake, B.C.

You can buy a package of self-adhesive magnets at an office supply store. They are usually used for business cards. You can use these to make your own fun magnets.

Find pretty little pictures, plaques, sayings, etc. in magazines and catalogs, carefully cut them out, cut the magnet to size, and stick your picture onto the magnet. Very simple!

I recently found a set of 6 plaques in a catalog, made a little set of magnets from them, and used them to decorate the front of a cabinet. It looks like they are painted on, very chic.

Also these make nice little gifts to tuck into a letter to a friend, to cheer someone up or make them laugh.

By Jayne

Make your own magnets with cute sayings or whatever, then laminate them in small laminating machine. It was rather cheap at a craft store on sale. Then use old magnetic business card magnets that we all get. Trace the magnet on the back of your laminated piece and put contact cement on the printed side of magnet and then on the laminated side and stick it together.

Makes a nice gift and looks professional.

By Syd

Have you ever bought a pretty and decorative magnet at a store? The prices on these can be pretty outrageous. I keep a package of 10 or 12 ct. regular round magnets, that I purchased at a craft store, inexpensively, on hand, at all times. Whenever you come across something that catches your eye, glue it to a magnet (or 2) and embellish as you choose. These you can keep for yourself, or give as gifts. No one will ever know you didn't pay lots of hard earned money for it.

By Terri H. from NV