Homemade Refrigerator Magnets

Category Other
Animal Cracker Magnets
There are many fun ways to make creative magnets. This guide is about homemade decorative magnets.

I save the tins with cute, vintage looking graphics after cleaning out my cupboards to make desk sets and/or refridgerator magnets! They would make a cute gift too.

• old spice or baking tins
  • magnetic tape

Directions:

• Just add tape to the back of old spice tins from your cupboards for a cute vintage desk set or pencil/stamp container on your fridge.
  • Comment Was this helpful? 4

A good use for those business cards that are attached to magnets. You can cut a photo to size and glue to magnet and place on your refrigerator.

By Kate from Gainesvile, FL

Give your fridge color with some cute magnets and let Uncle Sam bring in the 4th of July. With a few scrap supplies and glue or thread, you can whip these up in no time.

Approximate Time: 1 hr.

Instructions:

The bodies on all are assembled in the same way. I chose to glue a half of an emery board or Popsicle stick inside the 2 body parts to make them more firm. This is optional. I hand sewed my pieces together, but you can glue them instead. After body pieces are together, just punch holes at bottom and tie string on for legs. Thread your beads on or sew on pom poms. Punch a hole in each shoe and tie on to end of string. Refer to pictures for placement of pieces. When done, glue magnet on back.

TIPS:

Uncle Sam: If using pipe cleaners, curl around pencil and sandwich ends in between body parts before sewing or gluing. For mustache, roll a small piece of stuffing and tie in center with thread. Glue on face.

Bunny: Cut ears from felt and bend a piece of pipe cleaner into a "V" to fit inside. Sew closed and sandwich in between body parts. This will allow you to bend ears, if desired.

Chicken: Sandwich feathers in between body parts before sewing or gluing.

Lamb: Pom poms are glued on.

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

This is what you really wish you could put on your office door.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

Instructions:

Paint your choice of color. Let dry. Write "complaint form" on the bottom, and cut some paper to fill in the clip.

Hot glue or E6000 a larger magnet to the back, as it has to clear the clip on the back.

It looks good on the fridge, but can be a real conversation starter for the file cabinet at work, too.

N-JOY!

By Sandi from Yorktown, VA

These adorable ladybugs will bring you much joy when you put them on your refrigerator. Use simple supplies to craft these beautiful insects.

Magent

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

I buy packages of metal fridge magnet frames at the euro shop and decoupage them. I cut out matching pictures from magazines to put into the frames to make them fancier. These make wonderful little gifts. I have also sold these at Xmas and Easter bazaars.

Photo frame fridge magnets.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Christine Weber0 found this helpful

For the kid in all of us. Pick up a used Scrabble game at the thrift store and create a set of alphabet magnets to grace a fridge door!

tile magnets from scrabble pieces.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I got a free image on Pinterest of several shapes of thread spools.I thought it would be a cool idea to use up some old trim I found for .50 a box.

finished pin and magnets

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

This one is a shout out to the magnificent Rubik's Cube.

cube magnet

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

Refrigerator magnet featuring mouse on piece of cheese.

Mouse Refrigerator Magnet

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

This cute bumble bee magnet is sure to be all the "buzz" hanging on your refrigerator.

Bumble bee magnet.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

For the prettiest magnets use vintage earrings or brooches. I cut off the pin back on the brooches and the clip-on part of the earrings. Attach a small magnet with E-6000. I first noticed this idea at a craft show. They were selling for $5.00 and up to $10.00 each.

These joyfully smiling flower faced magnets are adorable in the kitchen, not to mention easy and fun for kids to create.

Flower face magnets

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Following the instructions in the booklet, I made the letters that spelled out each of my childrens' names. I glued googly eyes tiny pom pom noses onto each of them. Then I attached a magnet to the back of each one.

glue on eyes and nose

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

A quick and easy craft, great for school stalls:

I went to the Dollar General and decided to paint a little butterfly. It comes in a kit with acrylic paints and a brush and the butterfly with a magnet on the back. If I would have bought each of the items alone, it would have cost more than the dollar it cost me to buy the kit. The brush and the paint impressed me with their quality.

My Dollar General Butterfly - finished butterfly on fridge

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

I found this at Spenser's Alley, a wonderful craft "mini mall" here in Salem, OR where I live.

Fabric adhered to magnetic sheet and cut into shape of a star.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

Cute, quick and frugal gifts or decorations! The magnets are used canning jar lids and smaller ones are from frozen OJ concentrate can ends. Base coat white or brown and paint faces.

Juice Can Lid Christmas Magnets

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

A fun project for the kids or adults in the family is making decorative magnets. They can be used in your home or given as gifts. This is a guide about making decorative magnets.

Decorative Gift Magnets

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making beaded bottlecap magnets. Any small beads will work to make a set of these pretty magnets.

Bottle Cap Magnets

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

My daughter made these little foam art magnets for her dad on Father's Day. You could use these for any season or occasion. She cut out shapes and put adhesive backed magnetic stripping on the back.

Foam star with "Happy Father's Day" written on it

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

I find old unused broaches, take the back clip off and add a magnet to the back. I use them on the refrigerator to hold notes and stuff.

I was doing a good cleaning on my refrigerator door and noticed most of my fridge magnets were advertisements. So, I went to my folder where I store pretty pictures, got out my glue stick, cut down a picture to slightly larger then magnet, and glued on a picture.

If you need more frig magnets to hang the kids' pictures and stuff, here is a cheap and easy way to make them. Buy a cheap bag of the wooden clip style clothes pins and the magnet strips you buy at the craft store. Have the kids use markers and color them.

Send a sweet kiss to a loved one with these unique fun to make felt critters. Add magnets for hanging. This is a guide about making "sealed with a kiss" felt critters.

Reindeer and Lion Magnents

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

These folded paper poinsettia magnets are fun to make seasonal decorations that can also be used on the fridge or other metal surfaces. This is a guide about making poinsettia magnets.

Back and front views of magnet.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Even the front of your fridge can reflect the changing seasons and current holidays, when decorated with homemade magnets. This is a guide about making seasonal refrigerator magnets.

Seasonal Refrigerator Magnets

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This cute magnet is perfect to add little nautical flair to your kitchen and makes a great gift for the boat or beach fan in your life. This is a guide about making a nautical themed fridge magnet.

Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Finding crafts to make from buttons in your stash or an especially nice one you bought for just the right project is a common event. One quick easy craft is a magnet. This is a guide about making button magnets.

finished button magnet

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

A fun, little, inexpensive project for a pin or magnet san Easter bonnet made from a bottle cap. This is a guide about making a recycle Easter bonnet cap.

blue fabric covered cap in shape of bonnet

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making glittery glass magnets. These lovely glass magnets will add some sparkle to your fridge or magnet board.

Finished magnets.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a spring flower photo or note magnet. Add some spring cheer with this adorable flower photo magnet.

Spring Flower Photo or Note Magnet - Notepad in clip.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about sealing home-printed photo magnets. Keep your homemade photo magnets nice by sealing them.

A spray can of varnish.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making photo magnets. Fun and decorative magnets are easy to make and are great gifts.

Photo Magnets

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a fabric bow fridge magnet. Take scraps of fabric to make these pretty bow magnets for your own refrigerator or to give to a friend.

finished bow

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

You can add color to the inside of your locker with these easy to make flower magnets. This is a guide about making flower locker magnets.

Making Flower Magnets for Your Locker

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I'm making magnets to hold a child's drawings, homework, etc. I would like to personalize each one with their name with a whimsical form of writing. Any ideas, tips, etc.?

By Karen

You could use a word art program and print them on card-stock then cut them in small circles. Then I get these glass disc that are round on one side and flat on the other. Paint the flat side of the glass with modge podge then lightly paint the cut card-stock press to the bottom of the glass let dry for 24 hours then hot glue magnet to the back.

I personalize craft items at craft shows using either a Sharpie pen or an acrylic paint pen. I have trouble writing in a straight line and making my letters a uniform size, so I use a whimsical method by tipping the letters and putting one letter up and the next one down. When I finish writing, I put dots on each letter.

Harlean from Arkansas

All those business card and advertising magnets you get from realtors, pizza restaurants, etc, don't throw them away; just glue your precious photos or artwork on them and make cute fridge magnets. Great way to recycle, I just received an American Express credit card magnet today and a pizza restaurant last week. Saves me $ and helps the Earth!

By Tracey from Thomasville, GA

Answers:

Recycling Magnets for Photos

I use the business magnets for the backing of kids stickers to make refrigerator magnets out of them. After pasting them on the magnet and cutting them out, I seal them with modge podge. I also use the animal pics from my vet catalogs. We're great animal lovers. (01/31/2008)

By javajano

Recycling Magnets for Photos

Great recycling tip. Love it.
    (02/01/2008)

By Christine IN

My daughter recycles my refrigerator magnets! She takes one of my magnets I've picked up from a local business and uses a gluestick to attach family pictures, etc.! She uses magnets that are from stores that have closed, magnets from businesses we used to frequent before we moved, and magnets with school calendars from previous school years. It's a great way to recycle and I have beautiful pictures of family members and furkids to look at instead of businesses I no longer use!

By GrammySheila from Titusville, Florida