Making Geometric Bubble Wands
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
July 27, 2019
This is a fun all-ages craft for the summertime! Using just pipe cleaners and equal-sized bits of drinking straws you can create standard and advanced geometric shapes. Dip into your favourite bubble solution and have a great time! This is a fantastic craft for learning about shapes and dimensions.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 wands
- drinking straws
- long pipe cleaners
- To make a standard triangle bubble wand, you will need one pipe cleaner and 3 pieces of straw.
- Place the 3 pieces of straw on one end of the pipe cleaner and leave some overhang so you can twist it into place in the next step.
- Form a triangle with the straws, then twist the overhanging end of the pipe cleaner onto itself right under the triangle.
- To make a 3D triangle bubble wand, you will need 2 pipe cleaners and 6 pieces of straw.
- Make the same base as the last triangle wand with the little overhang.
- Twist a second pipe cleaner onto the first one to make it longer.
- Slide two pieces of straw onto the pipe cleaner.
- Thread the end of the pipe cleaner into the top of the triangle.
- Pull taut and you will have 2 triangles side by side.
- Add on another straw.
- Now fold up the second triangle towards the first triangle.
- Now slide the end of the pipe cleaner into the straw so it meets with the little overhang bit.
- Pull taut. Twist the overhang onto the long pipe cleaner.
- To make a standard square bubble wand, you will need 1 pipe cleaner and 4 pieces of straw.
- Place the 4 pieces of straw onto the pipe cleaner, leaving a bit of overhang.
- Form into a square shape, then twist the overhang bit onto the long pipe cleaner.
- To make the 3D cube bubble wand, you will need 4 pipe cleaners and 12 pieces of straw.
- Make the standard square bubble wand base with the little overhang.
- Attach a second pipe cleaner onto the end of the first one.
- Slide on 3 pieces of straw.
- Push the end of the pipe cleaner into the top of the first square.
- Pull taut. Now you have 2 squares side by side.
- Slide 2 more straws onto the pipe cleaner.
- Twist on a 3rd pipe cleaner to make it longer.
- Now bend the first square up towards the second one.
- Pull the end of the pipe cleaner through the top straw of the first square.
- Pull taut. Now you have 3 squares.
- Add 2 more straws.
- Bring the pipe cleaner under the corner of the 3rd square. Loop it over then thread it through the straw.
- Add another pipe cleaner if you need more length. Add another straw piece.
- Push the pipe cleaner through the straw so it meets with the little overhang piece.
- Make some strong bubble solution by using 4 parts water, 1 part dish soap, and 2 parts fine granulated sugar. Dip and play!
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.