Making Homemade Door Wreaths

Category Decorations
Homemade door wreaths can be tailored for any season or special occasion. This is a guide about making homemade door wreaths.

Have flowers all summer long with this easy-to-make wreath.

Crafting Time: 30 - 60 minutes

Materials

Instructions

1. Use scissors to remove flower blossoms from stems. For some stems, you may need to use wire cutters.
  2. Use straight pins to attach the flowers to the front and sides of the wreath. Completely cover the straw and place flower types and colors randomly to create a flower garden effect.
  3. Cut a piece of wire or dental floss. Tie this to the top of your wreath to create a loop for hanging.
  4. By Marie from West Dundee, IL

This are pictures of what I call Anything Wreaths, just to show you can make your own wreaths very inexpensively out of just about anything. Both are made using grapevine bases, which I picked up for pennies at yard sales, and a glue gun. The larger "gold" one is filled with gold holly leaf sprigs that had pink jewels attached, which I got free from a friend who was going to throw them out. It is now on my front door.

For the second smaller one I cut apart four sprigs of poinsettias, two gold and two silver, that I had also picked up at a yard sale - smaller pieces go farther than keeping them in one piece. The ribbon bow on the first is also homemade from yard sale ribbon. I got two beautiful wreaths for next to nothing. If I can do it, you can too!

Have a great holiday!

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

I am an avid garage saler and yard sale person. I collected plastic fruit for several months I purchased at yard sales to make this Della Robbia wreath. It cost me less than $10 to make and is very nice for your front door. I also purchased the evergreen wreath to attach everything to for less than a dollar.

By Connie from Ballwin

Need to change out your tired door wreath? Don't have time to get out the craft wire and hot glue? Love to be creative in a short timeframe? This craft is for you. I often make these as gifts.

Approximate Time: 10 minutes

Instructions:

Prepare Your Wreath:

If your wreath still has old decorations on it, clip or pull them off. If the stripped wreath is dirty, take it outside and spray it clean then hang outside to dry completely before redecorating. Lay your wreath out flat and check for stray strands and clip.

Note: If you just want to buy a new wreath that's fine, you will be recycling it as you redecorate it later. You can also pick these wreaths up easily at Goodwill or garage sales.

Assemble Your Arrangement: Cut your flower picks up as needed to emphasize individual elements, arrange flowers, greenery, or plastic fruits as desired on the top of your wreath laid flat on a table or the floor. Arrange and rearrange until you are happy with the styling. Cover the entire wreath or just a corner according to your preferences. You can either buy the arrangement pieces or recycle them. Thrift stores and sales at craft stores are good sources.

Secure Your Arrangement:

Cut 5 - 7 lengths of the organza or other ribbon in a complimentary or neutral color. Be sure your lengths are long enough to tie either a knot or a pretty bow around your grapevine wreath. Tie your ribbons tightly at strategic points to hold the weight of your decorations, tie bows if desired or just knot firmly. Add a larger bow for decoration if you like.

Hang Your New Creation.

This wreath is inexpensive, can be changed with the seasons and can be refreshed as needed easily by pulling or cutting off ribbons.

By Nhe from Denton, TX

HoaTruocCua400x504.jpg

These beautiful wreaths are very popular where I live and can be used year after year. They also make nice gifts. It's a simple project and you need no special talent. Your project will look professionally done with little effort.

Approximate Time 45 - 60 minutes for each nine inch wreath shown

Instructions:

1. Use scissors or wire cutters to remove the berries, keeping a small stem attached, from the main "branch".
  2. Arrange as you go, and insert the berry bunch stems through the spaces in the grapevine wreath. Hot glue each section into place. Continue around the wreath until the grapevine is completely covered.
  3. Make your bow. I find wired ribbon much easier to work with. Attach your homemade or pre-made bow to the wreath with wire. Add a wire loop for hanging to the back of the wreath.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Quick and easy wreath, take wreath, hot glue apples around the wreath as evenly as possible. Take ivy and hot glue around apples.

Wooden apple wreath

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone on here make homemade door wreaths?

Donita from MO

Answers

Yes, I do. Can I help you with something? Let me know and put wreaths in subject box warnerd5 AT aol.com

Homemade wreaths are loads of fun to make and way cheaper than storebought ones! I make mine with silk and dried flowers so they last longer, usually on a grapevine wreath base (although you can also use straw or foam). The number of bunches of florals and greenery you need will depend, of course, on the size of your wreath base. Dollar Tree is great for this! Cut your stems down to a few inches and hot glue your greenery in first, and then arrange your flowers around the edges until you find a pattern you like. Cute add-ins include bows or seasonal items like birdhouses, scarecrows, etc. Have fun!

Craft stores sell the basic wreaths plus so many goodies to add to them and they have free classes sometimes.
Here is one I made for Easter a few years ago.

Gather pinecones and twigs for free. My sister hung hers on their front door and birds built a nest in it.They used the side door until the babies hatched out and left. Then she had the real birds nest as a decoration..Hows that for free?LOL~ GG Vi

If you have forsythia bushes, use the long branches you trim off in fall to make a rustic wreath. Put a gloved hand around the branch and slide down, taking off most of the leaves. Coil a few in a circle and tuck ends into the coil or use wire to hold in place. Then add as many as you need to make it fuller, staggering where each begins and ends around the circle. It's good if you can wrap them around a bucket or other round container for a form, then let them dry out. You can glue or tie on other things like seed pods, grasses, etc. that you find in your yard, or things from the store like silk sunflowers, pansies, etc., and some raffia. This makes a nice rustic wreath to hang outside. Sometimes they look great just by themselves without any ornamentation, esp on outbuildings or a garage. When it gets too weathered and ugly, just send it to the compost pile if you used all natural stuff on it. I had some that were in a covered place on the house and they lasted several years before I tossed them. The best part is you're getting your materials for free. (I thought this up when thinning our bushes one year. We didn't have grapevines so I thought I'd give this a try and it worked pretty well)

Hi, email me at precioustaylor AT stjoelive.com if you can make a wreath for my front door. Thanks.

Hello, what do your wreaths look like? I'm wanting one to hang on my front door, a good size one, I thought something with berries, twigs, bird nest one. Let me know, thanks.

Hi, do you make these & sell them? Also do you know how to do the Christmas tree made from 6 wire coat hangers? email me at precioustaylor AT stjoelive.com

I am looking for instructions for how to make wreaths.

Ev from Walla Walla, WA

Answers

Here's one site: http://www.save  reatmakandd.html You can find more sites by keying "How to make a wreath" into your search engine. Have fun!!!

I purchase wreath forms from thrift shops for very little. I wrap the form with duct tape to allow for better adherence. Then I hot glue pine cones, acorns, seed pods, etc., to the wreath form. Once finished, I clear all the "glue strings" off after the glue cools. I hang the wreath in a well ventilated area, and spray the wreath with clear spray paint. Let it dry and you have a gorgeous wreath!

I am looking for instructions to make dog bone wreath.

By Elysecil from Harwinton, CT

Answers

Check out http://www.ehow  cuit-wreath.html

You can spiff up boughten wreaths with natural elements. I got a small basic wreath with a few ornaments for 99 cents then wrapped pine around it and added some seasonal berries, all held on with a good ribbon for a neighbor. It's amazing how well it turned out!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles