Homemade Natural Cleaning Ideas

It's that time of the year to spring clean. It's better to make your own cleaners; no harsh chemicals, cheaper, and it's better for the environment. To clean my kitchen and bathroom counters, I sprinkle baking soda on them and then scrub with a cleaning brush. To clean windows, I use 2 tablespoons of white vinegar with a gallon of water. Put in a spray bottle and you're all set. You can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar which smells good.

Instead of buying expensive drain cleaner for clogged drains, I use 2 cups of baking soda. Pour into the drain and then pour hot water from the teapot in. It works really well.

7 More Solutions

This non-toxic method was developed by Susan Sumner, from Virginia Polytechnic Institute, as a way of sanitizing food. Not only does it work great for that but I have found it useful elsewhere around the home.

Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar With Spray Bottles

Over the years, I have tried to use less commercial products and make more of my own products for myself, my family and my home-naturally, simply and economically!

Containers filled with homemade cleaning supplies

A drop of lemon, say citrus-fruit experts who have been meeting here in annual conference, can: remove tea spots from table linens, remove rust, especially from clothing

Don't throw away those lemons after you've used them. They are great for scrubbing the kitchen sink. Simply take half a squeezed or unsqueezed lemon, dip it in some baking soda and scrub away.

Videos

This green cleaning method is a great way to sanitize those yucky places in your home. Check out this video and learn how easy it is to clean green.

I like to make homemade cleaners to save money, but are they any better for the environment? For example, the one I make the most is basically a little lemon ammonia and water with a squirt of Dawn in it. I make a whole bottle for pennies, but is the ammonia bad? Do you have any cleaner recipes that would be better? I have not had good luck with just vinegar and water. Thanks.

Cindy from Lorain, OH

Answers

By mary (Guest Post)

Go to diynetwork. look for advice from the queen of clean and go to dollarstretcher.com One cleaner I know of that is environmentally friendly is to mix 1 tbsp. of baking soda in a quart of warm water, and yes, ammonia is bad for the environment.

I personally don't think homemade cleaners are any better for the environment. Ammonia is not any more harmful than baking soda, as long as you are only using small amounts of it. It is a stronger base, but sometimes you need something stronger. If you use a small amount mixed with water, it is not harmful to use it as a cleaning product. Ammonia can be neurtralized by mixing with vinegar, and it then turns into salt, water, and carbon dioxide.

Homemade is better for our environs because the mileage is so small. Once baking soda is in your hands, all those thousands of miles of travel for the exotics in cleaners is saved, along with dollars.
Debra Dadd's columns online are reliable sources of environmental as well as personal safety at home.
She is tough on petrochemicals.

I can't use ammonia since I am allergic to it. My favorite cleaner is homemade and I use it on everything but glass.
1 cup borax (found in laundry section)
1/2 cup baking soda
When I mix this up I use 2 teaspoons to 2 cups of water. If I want to have a sudsy cleaner I add a small squirt of hand washing dish soap to it. I put it in a sports type of bottle to use. I also use it as an abrasive cleaner bu putting it in a shaker, like an empty spice bottle. I use it as as laundry booster too.

Answer this Question

How many and which herbs can be substituted for the traditional rather toxic store bought cleaners, i.e. rug cleaners, laundry bleach, fabric softeners, window cleaners, etc.?

By Joyce

Answers

Herbs can't be substituted for everything but I think you'll find this list helpful:

www.msue.msu.edu/.../

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply RecipesSeptember 28, 2012
😷
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Homemade-Green-Cleaners.html