Making Roses Big And Healthy

Can you please tell me what I can do to make my roses big and healthy using stuff from my kitchen?

Paige from Trinidad, West Indies

Answers:

Making Roses Big And Healthy

I pour cold coffee on mine and add coffee grounds to the soil. My roses are beautiful. (04/21/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Making Roses Big And Healthy

Your roses will grow well if you take banana peelings and dig them into the soil around the plant.
I cut the peels in 3 to 4 inch wide pieces, and use a little shovel to dig them into the soil. The banana peels are full of potassium, which is good for the plant. Each time I add more peelings, I move a little more out from the base of the plant. In a few months or so, I can start closer to the plant again. Sometimes I add a little potting soil as I dig the peels into the soil. I am sure that there are other plants which would benefit from the added potassium, but I don't know which ones.

Barbara in TN (04/23/2008)

By Barb in TN

Making Roses Big And Healthy

I was chatting to an elderly man about his wonderful roses in his front yard. He had masses of colorful, huge flowers on each bush. He told me that the secret is to get the right bush (the modern hybrids don't flower as long or as often) and he fertilizes his every week. Get a rose formulated food, and do this every week. Also, cutting them back every winter revitalizes the plant. Another tip is to lay the branches horizontally and tie them down (eg. espalier them). They shoot up vertical branches, and it is these branches that end up flowering. If you have a horizontal branch, it could easily end up with five flower spikes at any given time. Good luck! (04/24/2008)

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD

Making Roses Big And Healthy

Put banana peels or any old leftovers of bananas into a blender with water. Blend. Pour it on the ground around your rosebush. Or you can dig a hole and bury it. Bananas are high in potassium that roses need to flourish.

Also, don't forget that flowering plants need lots of water.

Best of luck (04/25/2008)

By Carol in PA