Making Paper Roses

Category Paper
Paper roses are a simple, yet elegant decoration. Using brightly color papers you can create a bouquet that never wilts. This is a guide about making paper roses.

How to make realistic paper roses from various papers and materials.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Instructions:

Cut out pieces of rose as follows. One rose is made from a recycled grocery bag (kraft paper).

1. You want 3 outer petals, 4 inner petals and 2 or 3 leaves.

2. Pieces are manipulated to resemble rose petals/leaves.

3. Following photos, the outer petals are cut out, a small cut is made in the bottom of the petal. The resulting two pieces are glued by drawing one edge over the other.

4. The top edges of the petal are curled with scissors and your thumb.

5. The inner pedals: cut 3 or 4 circles as shown. The center is cut out so that you have a round piece as shown.

6. Using forceps, wind petal around itself, so that a cone shape is made.

7. Glue in one spot at the end of the circle. Hold until dry. (7-10 sec.)

8. Glue the three outer petals together at the bases.

9. Add three strips to inner cones that have been glued together. These will allow the fastening of the cones to the outer petals.

10. Ad

11. Add two or three leaves by cutting patterns, serrating the edges with scissors, and gluing to the bottom of the petal structure.

Rose(s) can be used for corsages, display, or in floral arrangements.

Placed on thin branches, these easy roses make a nice table decoration for Valentine's Day. They would also make great package toppers and could be used for other purposes.

Approximate Time: about 20 minutes

Instructions:

1. Cut out a 6-inch circle from card stock. The larger the circle, the larger and fuller your flower will be.
  2. Begin cutting the circle into a spiral pattern. As you cut, try to create a scalloped edge by cutting the pattern in a wavy motion.
  3. Starting at the outer edge of the spiral, begin rolling the spiral very tightly.
  4. Ad

5. Once you reach the center and have it wound tightly, release it and it will loosen slightly to look like a rose.
  6. Apply a small amount of glue to the bottom to hold it together.
  7. Attach several to thin branches and place in a vase for a centerpiece, or use one or more as package toppers, to decorate picture frames, use on scrapbook pages, etc.
  8. By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

A cute idea and easy table decoration in an array of colors to brighten up your table after the winter storms and to celebrate Valentine's Day.

Could you please help me figure out how to make the tissues roses you mention on the site?

Thanks,
Patti Anderson from Victoria BC

Answers

I seem to remember to cut out heart shapes and then the pointed end is attached to the "stem". My son and I made BIG ones and sorta loose, they looked more like peonies. We used shades of pink and white, they turned out really nice.

By J. Fish, Marshfield MO (Guest Post)

I took a green twist tie (also a green pipe cleaner could work) and cut an 8" (or longer) x 1" strip of thin red (gift?) paper. This is almost as thin as tissue but just a bit thicker and sturdier... I'm not sure what the proper name for it is. I wadded up the strip so that it would be more malleable, then un-wadded it. I folded the strip (so that if/when unfolded it makes a zig-zag...), I poked a hole through the layeres of paper with the sharp point of a scissors. Then unfolded the strip and threaded the twist tie (after crimping the tip of it so it goes through easier) through all the holes made by the scissors, still folding the strip back into the compressed (zig-zag) pattern over one end of the twist tie. Then I made a small/tight hook shape at the end of the tie. It should be big enough to prevent the paper (petals) from coming off from the top, and the 'hook' is used this way.... :-) Twist the twist tie so that the hook grabs the paper in the middle. Keep turning it but don't let the outer/bottom part of the paper turn. You can see a familiar pattern forming. It looks like a rose. :-D Keep twisting till you're satisfied on how it looks. Then tape the bottom of it to secure it. If you've got the green floral tape... use that.

I was wanting to fold a Kawasaki Paper rose but just couldn't get it done. I kept working with the paper and twist-ties. Then I found the answer. I'm going to make a small bouquet for a certain girl I like. :-) Maybe I can still try to make that Kawasaki Rose for a little rose vase for all the other littler roses. :-D

Editor's Note: We'd love to see a picture of this!