Making Septic Safe Laundry Detergent

I am planning to make laundry detergent at home using soap, borax and washing soda. I read somewhere that using soap flakes is not good for the septic pipes. Is that true? is there any other way that I can make the detergent at home which I can safely use for newborns clothes, too?

Sweety from VA

Answers:

Grated Soap

I have always used regular ivory or other white soap grated in my laundry soap recipe. My family has sensitive skin so this works best for us. And the clothes come out clean. This would not be any worse on your septic than using it on your body, I do not think.

I never used a special soap for my son's baby clothes. I just washed all of his clothes with ours and he turned out just fine. This was back before I made my own soap though. I was using All free and clear liquid, but it is very expensive. (08/08/2007)

By Wendy

Soap

Do you wash you hands with soap? Can the septic system tell the difference if the soap comes from your body or the laundry? You can use any type of soap, it doesn't have to be Fels Naptha. The ingredients are green and are often used in homemade cleaning mixes. They're probably safer than most store-bought detergents. (08/10/2007)

By susan

Ammonia

Pouring ammonia down your drains and running it through your washing machine and dishwasher will break down fats and grease that accumulate in drain pipes. It may not smell the best, but it will work. Ammonia will break down naturally in the septic system anyway. (08/15/2008)

By Larry