Making Tire Planters

Category Planters

Information on making recycled tire planters.

Christopher Lowell's Tire Planter

I have instructions for a tire planter from the Christopher Lowell Show. (Outdoor dynamics for Dummies show).

Materials

• old tire with/without rim
  • sharp kitchen knife
  • chalk
  • potting soil
  • spray paint

Directions

Draw pattern with chalk along side wall on one side of tire. Space scallops/ or ^^^ evenly around tire. Start at tread and end close to rim. Cut out with knife, using straight up and down motion, pointing blade away from yourself. This wil separate the tire into two pieces. Place your foot in center of rim and pull one scalloped edge toward yourself, this turns it inside out. Continue until it forms planter with pedestal. Fill with potting soil. Can spray paint planter to jazz it up.

Good luck, I am going to make mine this week.

By pikachu6

Felder Rushing Style Planter

Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences has great insturctions for making a tire planter: "Finding the right tire is essential in making a tire planter. The tire you select should be well worn, and pliable in the shoulder area of the tire (what Felder calls the "sweet spot"), just below the tread. You can tell if the tire is a good candidate by pushing in on the shoulder area with the palm of your hand. If there is plenty of "give" in this area, the tire should be easy to work with. If not, you should find another one to use."

Swan Planters

You can make a swan planter out of a tire. At RonsSwan.com they have a PDF with step by step instructions. They recommend using a scooter tire:

Type of tyre
The kind of tyre you use is important. An ordinary car tyre has steel belting so is near impossible to cut and will have sharp edges. I made Ron from old Vespa motor scooter tyres as they are easier to cut. If you could source some very old car tyres which are textile belted, they would be suitable, but still very hard to cut by hand.

To downlod the PDF go to Download PDF

Read More or Comment...

By ALISON (Guest Post)

How cute! How did you ever come up with an idea like this?

By denise w (Guest Post)

i love this thank you so much for posting ill be keeping my eye out for those tires as i have lots and lots of space for them

By Marna (Guest Post)

Someone who is more creative than I came up with the idea I'm using this year. I got tires, painted them terra cotta color and painted inside the zigzagged treads with turquiose, yellow, orange and red.

Viola -- they look like Mexican pottery!!!

By pennsybob1 (Guest Post)

Super swans. They make hanging baskets shaped/painted like parrots and toucans in Costa Rica. Hope the picture comes out o.k.

By sweeper (Guest Post)

I have been rolling around on the ground for 4 hours trying to turn a tire inside out. I have cut 2" back from the bead on both sides. I want to use this as a pedestal for a rain barrel. Looking at some of these, I must be missing something.

By Martha (Guest Post)

I would like to find out more ideas for tire crafts?

The new place for the how-to-make-tyre-swans tutorial is tyreswans.blogspot.com.au/.../how-to-make-tyre-swan.html

We love having tyre swan image contributions too.
RonDSwan

I would like the parrot pattern if possible.

I would really, really like the pattern for the parrot. Does anyone have it? Please

If I use regular paint (lots left over from reno) on the tires, how do I seal them to protect against the elements?

By Baer

Answers

Best Answer

I bought some Kilz and painted the tires. This seals them and makes the color more vibrant.

Answer this Question

How do I keep dirt in uneven stack flower planters?

Answers

1. Basically the only way to do this is to have a plastic bottom on each tire.
  2. Advertisement

3. You can use a sheet of plastic and cut this to fit inside the tire.
  4. Now drill holes in the plastic so the water can drain out.
  5. Stack your tires and fill them with dirt.

I would have shallow large bowls in each tire. Drill holes in the bottom for drainage.

Answer this Question

What do you put in the tires on the top to hold in the dirt but still allow water to go through?

By debiyorke

Answer this Question

Looking for info on how to make planters out of old tires. Thank you.

Answers

By Terry (Guest Post)

www.wuvie.net/tireplanter.htm
Here is a great site telling you how to make these planters.

Answer this Question

Viewing This Page
Crafts Garden & Yard PlantersApril 21, 2013
🌻
😎
😷
🐛
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Tire-Planters-1.html