Making a Cookbook

Category Book Making
There are many fun ways to compile a recipe book for a special gift, or to raise money for an organization. This is a guide about making a cookbook.

My little grandsons (Jonny, nearly 4, and Joey, 20 months) are elbow deep in a project for Mother's Day for their mommy, other grandma, and day care provider. We are making a cookbook of their favorite meals and snacks. I am taking tons of pictures of them "fixing" the food. It helps that they are total hams! But we have included such things as "ants on a log" (celery stuffed with peanut butter and dotted with raisins), tacos, grilled cheese, jello with fruit, and other things we love to make together. I am printing out the recipes with pictures on the computer and putting them in clear report covers. In the mean time, they are learning about healthy snacks and easy meals, and we are having a BALL! I can hardly wait until they can present their gift.

By Margie from Mount Vernon, OH

I have inherited a daughter-in-law recently who has no idea how to cook. Does any one have any beginner recipes I can put in a cookbook i'm making for her?

Thanks,
imaqt1962 from IL

Answers

Best Answer

I would start with basic "how tos" like how to cut and saute vegetables or how to pick good cuts of meat or how to tell when foods are cooked and other helpful hints that we do without thinking. Other than that I would just put in your favorite recipes and ones that you know her hubby likes and make little notes on them, letting her know little varations she could use. I like in the Kraft Food and Family magazine when they have a chart with a meat, sauce and vegetable to make the same dish with different ingredients.

Someone posted about organizing recipes by meals with a main dish and sides all together, I think that would help someone just starting in the kitchen.

What a great idea to put a book together for her, she's a lucky daughter in law! I got a call from my sister the other day asking how to make hard boiled eggs, something I thought everyone knew how to do!

Good Luck
Rebekah

By Jennifer,CA (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Have her sign up to Thrifty Fun recipes! I have been cooking/baking for years and I always find something familar and unique at Thrifty-Fun. In fact I have a recipe file for Thrifty recipes! Especially from Robin! Foodnetwork, Kraft , etc. have great sites. Sounds like she just needs to get a list going and try a few. I'm sure she'll out do you before long. HA!

By Fran Marie (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My daughter bought herself a cookbook that has just a handful of ingredients for each recipe.

It's called 'Gooseberry Patch' Country Quick and Easy.

She sent me one and the recipes are very easy and very delicious.

How can I create a cookbook as cheaply as possible to raise money for a fundraiser for a cancer research walk? I want to put together a cookbook to sell for a "Light the Night Walk" to raise funds for leukemia/lymphoma research in Pikeville, Kentucy on Sept. 12, 2013.

I don't have money to tie up in order to create them in order to sell them to make money for this cause. What can I do? I need to make these cookbooks cheaply or even free for so many days, like 90 days, in order to sell them to make money for this wonderful cause.

By Dianna

Answers

Best Answer

You can do it on your computer. Look at your word processing program, decide on the format and page layout and then type in the recipes. You can take your copy to a copier (Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, etc) and either do it yourself or have them do it. If you can print off maybe 10-15 copies to have on hand, sell most of those and take orders with a small deposit (to cover additional copying costs) for any other interested buyers. I don't see how this fundraiser will be free of any costs for you (you need paper, ink, copying money, binding costs, etc) but you should be able to recoup your costs in the selling price.

Best Answer

Our Relay for Life Team had cookbooks for our team fund raiseer. We raised over $600 - search fundraising cookbooks on-line. We had over 300 recipes entered into the computer within a few weeks time.

The books sold so well we were able to pay off the costs and continue to make enough monies to clear at least the $600 - still selling them by the way.

How do I make a cookbook and add interesting food pictures? I would like it to have a cover to give as a gift. I got one many years ago. It was printed with pictures and it was in a 3 ring folder. Any easy ideas? Thank you.

Passarello from South Carolina

Answers

Best Answer

If you are making the cookbook using Word for example, you can insert pictures that you have taken with each recipe.

Whether organizing your own recipes or working on a fundraiser cookbook project, there are a number of options for finding a template to use for the recipes. This is a guide about cookbook software and templates.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes