Making a Driftwood Wall Hanging
Large or small pieces of driftwood can be used to make lovely rustic wall hangings. You can add beads and other decorative items to tailor the hanging to complement your decor. This is a page about making a driftwood wall hanging.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Get back to nature with this very inexpensive gift. I make them with seashells, rocks, gemstones, anything I can get my hands on.
Approximate Time: 1 hour
- drill with small bit
- chain or 18 gauge wire
- small rock, marbles, etc.
- 6" hanging wire
- clear varnish spray
- soft brush
- Clean your driftwood with a soft brush, spray with clear finish.
- Decide how many and where you want your holes for your hanging chain or curled wire. Drill your holes at least 1/4 inch from the edge of your driftwood, be careful driftwood is soft and will break easily. Plan your holes carefully.
- After you have your holes drilled, decide on the length you want for the chains or wire and add an inch to wire to make curls after you go through the holes you drilled. They will hold the wire sturdily and be decorative from the back also. With chain you can open one of the links and put it through the drilled hole if the links are large enough; if not, use wire to make a loop or purchase rings or swivels used in fishing gear. You can also use tiny screws on the back to secure the chain by attaching them on the back higher up on the thicker part of your driftwood. As you see there are many ways to go; just use your imagination, you probably have the items you could use on hand.
- When I use wire I wrap it around a pencil one way then reverse directions for interest. Wrap the wire around marbles, small rocks sprayed with your varnish, seashells, or whatever you like that is pretty light weight.
- I try to theme my decorations such as this one, is nature. I happened to have the copper letters and used silver and gold leaves, keeping to the metal and nature theme. I have home jewelry parties and give these as my hostess gifts.
By Latrtatr from Loup City, NE
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I have a small driftwood branch that I wanted to hang three photos from. What's the best way to hang this and should I paint the pictures with something to make them hard?
Answer this Question...
July 8, 20190 found this helpful
I would put screweyes in the branches and thread a ribbon that is taped to the back of a photo. You might want to laminate the photo to protect it.