Making a Peg Leg for a Pirate Costume

My nephew is having a pirate birthday party and the guests are to dress up like pirates. I want to make a peg leg for my son (he's 3). I found a roll of wood printed contact paper at Walmart and want to know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to go about fashioning this peg leg. Thanks!

Amanda from Niles, OH

Answers:

Making a Peg Leg for a Pirate Costume

Since he's only three, how about covering the leg of a pair of jeans with the contact paper, and using dict tape at the top and bottom to simulate the part where it would join the stump. You don't want to impede his ability top get around safely with anything stiff. (10/17/2006)

By Linda

Making a Peg Leg for a Pirate Costume

If you cant get hold of say a sturdy wooden chair leg then try using a sturdy tube from inside a roll of bubble wrap or something and cover with the brown paper or just roll the trouser leg up cover the leg in tin foil used for cooking roast dinners "bacofoil" cos they had tin legs as well as wooden ones (10/18/2006)

By

Making a Peg Leg for a Pirate Costume

I agree with Linda on the safety issue for a 3 year old. Another thought is to use your contact paper, if it will stick, and just cut out (or even paint) a "peg leg" on the leg of the pants that your nephew wears. That way, he really can walk on his own sweet little legs and have the faux wooden leg on the trouser. I don't know if it will work....it is just what "popped" into my mind. (10/21/2006)

By Luvyabye