Making a Wristlet Lanyard

Category Sewing
Never have to fumble for your keys at the door again with this convenient lanyard. This is a guide about making a wristlet lanyard.

I find that a lanyard on my keys makes them easier to find and also helps keep me from dropping them while I am juggling groceries and kids. However, I find that they can be too long, so I decided to make a wristlet version!

• fabric
  • lobster clasp
  • pins
  • sewing machine
  • scissors
  • template

1. Decide how long you want the lanyard to be, then create a template similar to the one shown below. My template is intended to be used on the fold, so it is only half as long as the lanyard will be. It also included a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Pin your template to the fabric and cut out. Repeat on contrasting fabric.
  2. Pin the two lanyard pieces together, wrong sides together. Then sew 1/4 seam around the edge, leaving an opening for turning.
  3. Ad

4. Snip the corners and trim down the seams (except at the opening).
  5. Turn right side out and stitch the opening shut. Then top stitch near the edge all the way around.
  6. Ad

7. Fold the lanyard in half and loop the ends through the ring of the lobster clasp. Sew to attach. Enjoy your new wristlet lanyard!

Top Comment

Thanks kindly for the instructions and photographs! I've been using a carabiner (less than $2 at the local hardware store) and it's pretty handy, too. I can hook it into a pants' belt loop or onto a purse strap.