Making an Americana Ball Wreath

This scrap fabric strip and twine ball wreath is a winner. It can be done in the Americana colors shown or in you choice of colors to display for various seasons or occasions. The full project follows.

I am into Americana way more than traditional red/white/and blue. So I make things every year that reflect that color choice.

Today I made this wreath. Hope you like it!

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: 1

Source: None, but I have seen them on Pinterest

• 1 wicker wreath form size 14"
  • 6 ping pong balls
  • 12-24 yd scrap ripped fabric
  • hot glue gun plus 6 sticks
  • scissors
  • 4 pieces scrap paper
  • 1 broken brooch
  • 2 oz yarn
  • crochet hook size J
  • 2 spools Dollar Tree twine
  • 12 in burlap ribbon

1. I found a wicker ring that already had some glue on it from a previous craft. So I decided to cover it. I found the perfect fabric, ripped it and then glued and wrapped it around the wreath. I tried to make sure the fabric wasn't the same as one of the balls. But I did goof a little.
  2. Advertisement

3. The balls were different mediums. I used ping pongs for the little ones, wadded paper for some of the larger ones, and old balls of yarn I didn't mind losing.
  4. How I goofed was I had some strips already done, and it turned out they were the row between the hearts row of the fabric used to wrap the ring. You can't tell can you? That's the plan!
  5. I love the twine in this one, and found it was just easier to make the smaller ones by rolling them in a ball, not "on" a ball. This is better shown on a "before" photo, while determining how many balls I needed. This is the step where I decided to wrap the wicker. It was showing a bit of wear.
  6. Advertisement

7. The ping pong balls were the most challenging, as they were slick and small. In retrospect, I should have made the strips narrower, but that would have meant cutting, not ripping. Oh well...I began to glue the balls onto the inside and around some of the outside of the ring.
  8. So, with all the balls glued on, it was time to use some burlap and do a hanger. I glued it onto itself after looping it onto the ring. Some of the photos show a scrap of fabric that I strung through the casing.
  9. The star is a simple pattern. Chain 2 and make 10 more singles in the 1st chain. Join. Then chain 4 and make a single in the 1st chain, a half double in the 2nd, and a double in the 3rd. Slip stitch in the 2nd stitch, making your 1st point. Do this another 4 times and join, working the tail into the back, or tieing the two tails together.
  10. Advertisement

11. I found a red, white, and blue piece of broken jewelry, and I glued that to the center of the star. It's done and ready to hang. N-JOY!!
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Crafts Fourth of JulyJuly 28, 2020
🌻
😷
🐛
📓
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-an-Americana-Ball-Wreath.html