Mushroom Chicken Bake
Vote for this contest contender!
A versatile recipe, as you can also use pork or lamb chops. This uses ingredients you probably have in the house already. The sauce is delicious over rice, pasta or potatoes.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Source: Whole Foods for the Whole Family
- 3 lb chicken pieces or pork chops or lamb chops (I used thick chicken cutlets and it was fine )
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 1/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange meat in a baking pan.
- Melt butter in pan over low heat.
- Take the pan off the heat and blend in the flour until smooth.
- Gradually add 1 cup of the milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium heat until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer 2-3 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Sauté the onion and the mushrooms.
- Add the onions and mushrooms, bouillon cubes and the remaining 1/4 cup of milk to the sauce. Mix well.
- Pour the sauce over the meat.
- Bake for an hour, or until done. My cutlets were done in 50 minutes.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!